The Homecoming, a heartfelt story of a family Ford :-)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: The Homecoming, a heartfelt story of a family Ford :-)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 04:46 pm:

In 1956, my grandfather Wes Wallace bought a 1913 model T Ford. This was the second model T he purchaced. The 1st one he bought was actually out of a need to provide "wheels" for his oldest son (my late uncle) when he was a teenager. A 1927 touring. He paid $75.00 for it. My dad is in the back seat, my late uncle driving:-)

Little did I know that the history of the 1913 Ford existed since it was brand new. The car was sold brand new in Shakespeare, Ontario, Canada in late 1912. The owner John Horman bought it in 1912 but did not drive the car until the spring of 1913. Later John sold the car for $15.00 to his daughter and her new husband in 1929. They drove the car to Ohio for their wedding. My grandfather bought the car from the daughter, and the Horman family in the late fifties and my family drove it until roughly the early 1960's. The car was entered in the 1959 Canadian National Exhibition (CNE) covered with black shoe polish and won 1st place for the most original model T Ford! It went into storage until 1987. At 20 years old, wanted to hear it run. I played in this car as a little kid and wondered why no one ever wanted to get it out and drive it! A good friend of the family helped me get it running but our adventure was short lived as the exhaust pipe was rotted away (unknown to us) and flames started burning the floor boards! I never did get see the car move on it's own power. Luckily, the damage was very insignificant. The Ford went back into storage until last week. I don't have room for three cars so we decided our 1915 after 16 years of fun had to find a new home. Gladly, a very good long time friend who doesn't live too far away and has stepped up to the plate. The 1913 will hopefully be coming home to my garage/shop next week. My grandmother is still with us at 96 so I am very grateful that this family car will stay in our family right along side of my grandfather's 1905 Queen. With a greater knowledge of T's than I had as a 20 year old, I have noticed that long long ago a few things were changed on the car. The rear axle housings are from a '15 or later, so is the front springs, and the engine pan. The engine is the original B series three digit serial number 872. There are some features of the car which I believe are 1912-ish or early 13(?) such as the steering column and it's levers. The car has an unusual speedometer setup too. Not one I'm familiar with. The top was replaced many years ago and the car got some paint at some point, and lost it's wheel paint too. It will be my new adventure to put the incorrect and missing issues back the way they should be, rebuild the motor and eventually hand it down to my kids :-) All in all, it seems this 1913 is a very complete and original car with minor changes, and all it's history since new! The uphosltery is still original but the seat cushions were recovered.

My family in the 1950's:

1989:

One week ago :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

My grandfather with the Queen. The '13 is behind him in the driveway circa 1958

The '13 at the CNE in the 1950's I mentioned covered in shoe polish :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

Stay tuned for more pics as the car makes it's way home :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

Wow, Amazing story. I do love to hear about any car that has been passed down from one generation to another. Every little thing you do with that car will have someone from heaven smiling with as you complete it. I have a few of my great grandfathers tools, Once in a while I will get the chance to use them and I always think he is watching me put them to work. Great story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 05:46 pm:

A wonderful story in so many ways! The history, both the car's and your family's is fantastic.

Like Will C says above, I too have many tools that were my dad's, my grandfather's, and even some that belonged to my great grandfather. Many of these tools, I still use, some quite often. I often feel that these special people are standing by my side when I use their tools. I often thank them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

I love everything about this.

Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

Darren. Erica and I are so pleased for you and your family!
Brass rules. Cheers Pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Koke Twigg-Smith on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

Awesome Darren! Itís the family connection that makes this an absolutely fantastic tale! Good luck with getting her back on the road, keep it as it is, your a lucky fellow!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

Thanks guys!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Wonderful story Darren. My Haigh's chocolate van has engine no B597. when you get around to the rebuild of the motor, I would be interested to know what date is stamped onto the end of the trans shaft. Mine was dated Sept 29. 1912.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 11:00 pm:

WOW Darren, just amazing, as Don said "I" love everything about this. That rear light, how is it attached. I have basicly the same Brown light and would like to put it on the back of my touring car. Thanks Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:49 am:

Thank You! for sharing the wonderful story. I see that someone has also inverted the horn. I'm sure that the folks here will do what they can to help you on your journey to revert the few things back to original. Looks like the rear axle will be your largest task. My friend Danny Lorenzi and I have 14 roadsters that we are restoring. His almost done, mine, with his help, is almost complete and ready to start the restoration process. We are both looking forward to the rest of your journey. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 10:27 am:

A great story and a really nice car. Thanks for sharing with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 03:25 pm:

Doug: I'll let you know next week :-) Thanks for all the kind words guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

Thanks for the great story and all the pics Darren. As Wayne said, all of those family members will be with you on every ride! JD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 11:20 am:

Fantastic story! You should look into getting rid of that AC speedometer! Buy yourself a copy of Russ Furstnows speedometer book, and it will help you greatly. Since yours is so early, it will probably take an angle mount. If the car still has the original firewall, the holes in the firewall should give you a clue as to what was on it originally.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 12:55 pm:

What a great story! Thanks so much for sharing it. I hope to see the car on next year's Southern Ontario HCCA tour in Kingston!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 01:15 pm:

Wonderful pics Darren and the accompanying story kept me on the edge of my couch !! Love the pinstriping in the first picture and the original hickory in the wheels look great! I run on original hickory in my Ď14 runabout. Does your touring have the rear seat main wood sill reinforcements? If the structural wood is good and you donít have the reinforcement, consider acquiring same from our vendors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 01:22 pm:

Darren, that's a fabulous story of a genuine survivor. Thanks for taking time to share it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Lynn-Colorado on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

Neat story, thanks for sharing all of those great photos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

Thanks again guys! I'm really glad you all enjoyed the story. Car is coming to my house Saturday. My '15 has a new home close enough I can visit it, and it's in good hands with a very longtime good friend of mine. :-)

George, the original back reinforcement plates are both present. I looked at the inside of the body metal and the body wood and it's all in excellent original condition. Good original body, and very sound. I gave the wheels all a very hard vigorous shake and they're as tight as the day Henry made 'em.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 08:55 pm:

Larry, I will be looking for what I need. When I was a kid, the original speedometer was mounted WITH that AC unit. I could never figure out why, but I was a teenager at the time :-) I'm hoping all the Stewart stuff is still with it, and I think that it is!

Allen, keep reminding me as I will be glad to let you know that info! Cheers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace, Woodstock,Ont. Canada on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 09:03 pm:

Larry, the firewall has been replaced so the original one is gone, but I remember that Stewart speedo being mounted ABOVE the AC one. Not sure why, and my grandmother doesn't really know either :-( At 96 she's having trouble with her memory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

application/pdfSafari
18 PM.pdf (237.2 k)

The local guys turned up today to see the car and get it started. We changed the oil. I am sure Darren will be posting but after a lot of nail biting and wrenching and Fast Start and taking turns cranking, the engine fired for the first time in who knows how many years. Very emotional moment for a man who remembers playing in the car as a child

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 06:58 pm:

Congratulations to all who helped!
The great poet, Ian Anderson wrote, "It is only the giving that makes us who we are."
So true in this hobby and among this fraternity.

Gene

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration