Steering Gear Connecting Rod (Drag Link) Measurements???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Steering Gear Connecting Rod (Drag Link) Measurements???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Smith Littleton, Co. on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 07:20 pm:

I have Numerous drag links for T's, There are at least 3 different lengths, roughly speaking. What fits what? The word search for 2018 turned up 0 clues. Is there a book that has this data? help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 14, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/249044.html?1322077087

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/238771.html?1317650782

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/300409.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 09:37 am:

Chuck, looking at you profile, nice speedster/race car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 11:37 am:

Chuck just doing a word search of 2018 will limit your search. Try something like "mtfca; drag link" and do a google search (should work the same using other search engines). Others word it differently but mtfca; and what you are searching for works fine for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 02:25 pm:

Be very careful...wrong parts mix and the front end may "go over center" and you crash!!
Don't ask how I know

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 09:37 am:

Hopefully this isn't hijacking this thread, but "Go over center" - would you fully explain to me how this would happen? I get it that the wrong front end parts can be assembled fairly easily on the wrong year car that would affect a car's steering radius, but don't understand "go over center". In an attempt to explain why I am asking, on my 26 Coupe, I had the 19-25 spindles on it, the correct spindle arms, and a 19-25 drag link(30 and 5/16"). It had the correct pitman arm and tie rod/yolk/ball. The only thing I noticed from this combination was that the steering would not turn as far to one side as the other side. I have since bought/replaced to the 26-27 spindles and a 30 and 7/8" drag link. I did replace the steering gears/case, but just because it had play in it for the steering wheel. I simply wanted the right year parts for my year car, but really knew of no issue that was a necessity to correct those wrong year parts, except the turning radius going farther to one side than the other. So...I don't understand "go over center"? Would love for someone to explain! I am a first T owner of just over a year and a half. Thanks !!! Walt Wise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 10:38 am:

Go over center, means when you turn the wheel full lock, either right or left, that the steering gear ball arm travels far enough in an arc that it locks its self there. Steering input from the steering wheel wont have the leverage to bring it back from that lock. I dont know what combination of parts would produce this. but it is easy enough to check for right in the garage by turning the wheels. The first thing I would check is that the steering gears under the steering wheel have the correct pins in them. one of them is longer and runs in a groove that limits steering wheel travel in both directions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 10:43 am:

Walt, The spindles would have no effect on this. The 26 - 27 spindles just lower the car 1/2", they do not change the steering geometry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Smith Littleton, Co. on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 11:41 am:

Thanks Mark Strange for the quick reply! Take a listen to Darryl's input about the gear box at the top of the steering column. Early gear boxes don't have the control grove. I have seen numerous gear box's that the gear pin that is longer than the others, to limit travel,has migrated upward and seriously damaged the "limiting grove in the box. When in doubt put the front axle up on jack stands and find out in the garage rather than the road. Just say'n Thanks to ALL, Thanks MTFCA! This forum is great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Wise III on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

Mr. Bobzin, if I understand what you are saying, if you do have the one longer pin in your steering gear box at the top of the column and that the control groove the longer pin travels in is not "damaged", you won't go over center? I have rebuilt and/or replaced with new everything in my front end and it is tight - not even an inch of play in the steering wheel. Also, with both front wheels off the ground, I have tried to make it "go over center" and I can't, so I assume I am good? Also, Mr. Smith, I hope you didn't mind me jumping on your thread?!! Much Thanks for those responding!!! Walt Wise

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 02:14 pm:

Walt, As I said, I don't know what combination of components WILL make the steering turn too far, and create an "over center" condition. But I do know how to check for it. If you check it in the garage and all is well, you shouldn't have a problem unless there is a component failure. Maybe Mr Crane would explain what led his car to have this problem.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration