String-Wrapped Steering Wheel

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: String-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Amara on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 03:40 pm:

I always thought if I built a speedster to go with my 17, Id string-wrap the steering wheel. Well, found a roll of string in the toolbox and decided to try it on my 32 Chevy wheel. Kind of a tedious job, but I like the result. Just need to tone down the string color a bit. Dare I ask for comments?Photo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

Question:

Is it just string wrapped around the wheel or is the string coated with something (varnish, lacquer, etc.)? I imagine it would last a lot longer if coated.

Looks cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

Nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Amara on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

Henry, At this point it's string wrapped around the wheel. I'm open to comments on applying some sort of coating to improve the look and make it last longer, but for now it's just string. Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

I have an Indian Junior Scout with a string wrapped throttle. Unvarnished....the years of sweat and oil keep the wrap tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Elenbaas - Spokane, Washington on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 05:15 pm:

I used several coats of varnish and sanded between coats to get the texture that I like on my speedster. It gives a nice feel to the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 05:55 pm:

How long a roll does it take?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Amara on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

George, Ill probably let it age before attempting to coat it. James, That looks great. Thanks for the advice.
John, I used up a big spool of string wrapping mine, way more than I thought Id need. Unfortunately, it came out of a drawer in my toolbox without a label, so no info on length. Other members will have better info.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration