Spark rod lever pin size

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Spark rod lever pin size
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

Has anyone installed a roll pin to hold the spark rod lever to the adjuster rod and if so what size roll pin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:09 pm:

Yes and sorry do not recall size. Have had it in and out several times and it's doing its job. My hole was worn over sized so had to trial fit till I found one out the box that worked. If you used one, do not go past the lever on the bottom side it will jamb into the steering column.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

I went to ACE. They had roll pins. It just a 1/16 larger. They work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

So it's a 1/16" pin Steve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

Sorry I missed typed. The drill bit is 5/32.
I went to the garage to check my notes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Steve your very vague in your descriptions, so you drill it out to 5/16 and install that size pin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

I mean 5/32?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

I tap it and put a machine SS machine screw though it. Easy to remove and replace. No more slack. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

A roll pin is putting a straw into a hole where a dowel should be and reduces the shear by about 50% on a small hole and way more on a large hole. I would use a nail like a farmer before a roll pin on anything based on my experience. Yes they drive into a sloppy hole but a proper drill bit and pin secured will have more strength. Even a split pin is much better than a roll pin.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 10:22 pm:

The timing advance and throttle doesn’t have much force. If you’re worried about safety, put a wire through the roll pin. Not a big deal. If you’re putting that much force on the timing advance and throttle you might need to rethink your driving habits.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration