What is This MTFCA Encyclopedia that Folks Keep Quoting?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What is This MTFCA Encyclopedia that Folks Keep Quoting?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 15, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

Did you know that there is a link on the MTFCA home page to an encyclopedia of Model T info? Here is a direct link to the encyclopedia for those who don't want to go through the home page.

http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/index.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 12:18 am:

The online version Mark posted is the abbreviated one. I much prefer the disk version because it contains so much more information.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 01:13 pm:

I know, this is a stupid question but I'll ask it anyway.

Does the encyclopedia have more in depth information than "From Here to Obscurity" or "The Car that Changed the World"? Because I have both of those, and although I have a really bad book fetish, SWMBO may not go for spending more of my, er, "our", hard earned cash on a rerun of stuff I have, if you know what I mean. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

I don't have From Here to Obscurity, so I can't testify about that one. I do have Model T Ford the Car that Changed the World. It's the paper version of Bruce's encyclopedia. It has much of the same material but lacks several items that are in the disk version. Some of the items you get on disk that are not in the book: Owners' Manuals for all years 1907-1927; The First six Years, hundreds of pages about Models A through S; 1908-1927 Ford Line Catalogues and Brochures (I'm not taking the time to count, but it looks like hundreds of pages); Ford Methods & the Ford shops, 294 pages from 1915 about how the cars are made in the factory. The Ford Service Manual is also included. It's not in the paper version, but most of us have a separate copy, original or in reprint. For me, all the extra material made the $50 cost of the disk worthwhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

I have From here to Obscurity and it does have more views of the details for the 17- 22 low cowl cars because that's what I used for help with my 21 and 19 T. While the MTFCA encycloepdia has a Lot of details and etc. the pics in Obscurity were of more help to me. I will say a lot of the pics in From Here to Obscurity are probably from the Vintage Ford magazine from years past. Or that's what they looked like to me. I guess I do like it because it was my first really good reference book. I can't make a comparison since I don't have anything else but the Ford T shop manual and some of the MTFCA individual manuals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Jason,

"From Here to Obscurity" has a 1971 Copyright.

"Model T Ford - The Car That Changed the World" has a 1994 Copyright.

Both were considered very accurate and helpful at the time of they were initially printed. And both are still a great source of photos and information. But with the passing of time, additional information came to light.

There is considerable overlap between both of those books and "The Vintage Ford" magazines and their CD version. Bruce was the original editor of "The Vintage Ford" and he with the help of others compiled articles on the different years of the cars. Much of the information from those articles formed the basis of "From Here to Obscurity" by Ray Miller and Bruce McCalley and later again provided much of the information and photos in "Model T Ford - The Car That Changed the World." While sometimes the exact same photo is used in all 3 of those, often some of the photos will be different.

And of course corrections as they were discovered. For example on page 147 of "From Here to Obscurity" they state for the 1915 horn: The horn is no a hand-operated Klaxon, painted black with a brass end-bell. The first of the '15 cars had a bulb horn, similar to the '14s but mounted under the hood. By 1994 when Bruce's final hard copy book was copyrighted it had the updated information that it was a bulb horn initially with the electric magneto horn introduced and finally fully adopted Oct 1915 (ref page 214).

And while Bruce did not update the written book (it had a limited audience -- folks like us), he continued to update his 2 CD disc version -- probably up until a year or so before he died. That CD version in some cases such as the coverage of the very original 1912 Torpedo included color photos. Why? Because they were supplied in color but the magazine and the books were only printed in black and white. His CD version also has articles that were published after the 1994 copyright of his book. For example Larry Smith's 1925 Roadster Pickup is featured on the CD (and was also featured in "The Vintage Ford").

If you are primarily interested in "coffee table books" with nice photos -- you shouldn't purchase the 2 CD set. A CD setting on the coffee table just doesn't do much for most of us. But if you are interested in details and research on the cars -- I would recommend the 2 CD set, along with the MTFCI Judging Guidelines 7th Edition (which also contain most of Gail Rodda's Model T Ford Parts Identification Guides vol 1 & 2). And I would also recommend the DVD versions of both "The Vintage Ford" and "Model T Times."

Note if you printed out Bruce's 2 CD set it would be Over 3,300 pages if printed on 8-1/2 by 11 paper. For comparison, Bruce's "Model T Ford - The Car That Changed the World" is 613 pages and "From Here to Obscurity" is 293 pages. Again, yes a lot of repeats, but about 2000 pages of additional 1903-1927 Ford information.

If you want to purchase a copy (or ask for a 2 CD set for Christmas etc.) the order information is at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/868048.html

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Hap

I am attempting to fit in with the young techie guys so I put the two CDs on the coffee table instead of a book.

So far there has been no outward reaction but I believe they are impressed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

Fred,

Good idea, we need to attract more younger folks ;).

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration