Wheel shop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Wheel shop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MELVIN G,KING on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 02:33 pm:

I came across Calimer`s Wheel Shop and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? They are in PA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

I see Calimer's work at Hershey every year, and it looks good. But I've never used any of his wheels, so I can't testify about how well they work.

I have some Stutzman wheels, and they're excellent. But I suspect all the wheel shops do good work.

Anderson’s Wooden Wheels
Dale Anderson – Owner-Operator
Box 1433, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
Canada S6V 5S9
Phone (306) 763-4049
Fax (306) 763-4018
dale@anderprop.com
http://www.anderprop.com/ww_index.html

Calimer's Wheel Shop
30 East North St.
Waynesboro, PA 17268
(717) 762-5056
http://www.calimerswheelshop.com/

Stutzman Wheel
33656 County Rd 12
Baltic, OH 43804
(330) 897-1391

Vintage Wheel Shop
George Garrigan
19842 Via Redondo
Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 533-0468

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Bill Calimer is a third generation wheelwright. Bill, like his father and grandfather before him has a lot of experience with building and restoring antique automobile wheels for a variety of makes - not just Model T wheels. He does high quality work.

Both Bill and his father did some work for my father - a set of wheels for his 1900 Waverley Electric. Two of the wheels required completely new felloes and some spoke replacement. The rims were tightened (I believe they cut out a very small section and re-welded the rims in order to reduce the circumference) and installed hard rubber tires.

Below is one of the wheels that required a brand new felloe and some spoke replacement (there was some wood rot from the car sitting in a shed with the wheels in the dirt). Calimer staggered the new spokes with the original spokes so the wheel would run true. He also tightened the rim and installed the hard rubber tire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

I have a set of Calimer's on m y '14. Very high quality work; very happy with them. Still looking good after 15 years. The only thing is, he's very busy; I was 6 months getting mine back, which wasn't a problem for me then, at that stage of the restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Calimer did the wheels for my '10 Chalmers Detroit and a set for one of my T's several years ago. Great job and I was able to pick up the finished product at Hershey. I too was in no rush so I dropped them off at Hershey one year and retrieved them there the following year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Bill Calimer did a set of wheels for my 27T. I was very satisfied with the result and the service. Dropped the wheels off at Hershey in Oct. and picked them up at Bills shop in Jan on my way to FL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

Bill Calimer did a set of wheels for my ‘23 Touring. Like many have said here, his work is excellent. He has a spoke duplicating lathe and he had hundreds of patterns from the wheels that he’s done. Really obscure stuff too. He doesn’t just do Model T wheels.

I do recall waiting several months to get them done. At least at that time, he was a one man shop. So I never got the feeling like I was being ignored, rather, that he’s just constantly busy. He was always nice enough to take a break from his work and answer the phone when I checked in a couple times.

Would definitely recommend him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

I too have had great work done by Calimer. If you want to do the optional natural finish, for a small extra charge he will color match the spokes. I had im do the wheels for my 1926.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Fitch on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 05:32 pm:

I am just in the works in ordering a set of wheels for my 15 from Dale Anderson can't wait this will be the first time I ever had new wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 06:38 am:

I am another Calimer customer. My 1912 Buick wheels took almost a year, and would have taken longer, but he pushed them through at the end so I could make a tour. Excellent craftsman, very nice guy. Gave me a tour of his shop and recommended the best fish sandwich in town!

It looked to me like he does T wheel parts as regular production items, so the wait may not be too long for our Fords.

Cheers, Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration