Tips for removing pin type ignition switch back plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tips for removing pin type ignition switch back plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 09:19 pm:

Iím having issues with my ignition switch so I would like to remove the back plate to clean things up. Itís the type with pins that stick through the slots in the housing. I do not think itís ever been apart so I am worried if I force the pins that theyíll rip right out of the material. I thought about using some spray lubricant or solvent but Iím worried that might swell the fiber material and make it more difficult to remove.

Any tips for removing it in one piece?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

It pops out like a bayonet light bulb. Push in and turn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, July 16, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

Thanks Ted. Iíve never had one apart before and didnít think to push in. Looks like a little cleanup is in order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 12:06 am:

Nice switch Dan! It looks like the back plate hasn't even started separating yet!
Those layers of cardboard look great.
IF it ever starts separating, soak some super glue into the cracks, pop that section into the vise, snug it up just flat and tomorrow go on to the next pin. Then file the excess glue down and pop it back in.
Is that a Clum or a Briggs and Stratton switch? I'm thinking a Briggs but perhaps the lettering is gone.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 05:10 am:

Sand the contact side flat on a belt type sander.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 11:24 am:

Don't use a belt sander! Put a piece of 120 on a surface plate or a good flat surface and hand sand it. If any of the pins are loose, simply put a little Crazy Glue on them. It will tighten things right up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 11:59 am:

Don't over do the sanding. Just enough to flatten as/if needed. The hollows between the contacts will help clock the switch between the contacts. I wish mine looked as good!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 12:05 pm:

Thos dimples were not very deep on my switch, after I sanded it smooth.

I got a small half round abrasive stone for my Dremel tool and put it in my drill press to set the depth and add the dimples back, all at the same depth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

On the last one I fixed the dimples were too deep don't over do it.

Actually I think it works just as good without them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Thanks all for the suggestions! It was cutting out all of a sudden when switching over to magneto but I could get it to stay running if I moved the headlight switch first. So I figure something was not quite making contact. My multimeter confirmed it at least half the time. Whatís the best way to clean the teeny tiny brass screws that thread into the back of the switch plate to hold on the wires? Iíve learned over time that using any kind of powered wire wheel turns small items into BBís that shoot across the garage.

Itís a Briggs and Stratton. I did not know they supplied parts to Ford and was very surprised to see it imprinted on the back. Hereís the best photo I could take.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 09:52 pm:

One of the best looking switch backs I've seen. You are lucky to have it. If you want it to look real nice use brass screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 10:29 pm:

Thanks! Not to belabor the point, but hereís a photo showing the complete back for anyone interested. Didnít realize the one above was cut off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum, NL on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 07:01 am:

Dan, i cleaned the contacts by using a 'dull-ish' drillbit and holding it in my hand and with light pressure turn it til the contact is clean and shiny.
Next i cleaned the contacts on the switch with some very fine sandpaper and ever so carefully bent them a little up to give them just a little more 'spring'.
Thats all i did and it worked like a charm, the superglue is a good trick too but i dont think your switch needs it, it looks fine, just a little dirty.
I think on most switches the cardboard is to fragile to use any powertool on it.
Good luck, it'll work again for decades

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration