1923 Low Radiator Apron?????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1923 Low Radiator Apron?????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 10:07 am:

Does a 1923 low radiator have a radiator apron?

Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 10:36 am:

Nope.

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 10:56 am:

Well yes it sorta does, there is the trim piece that goes across and cover just the lower part of the radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 12:15 pm:

1923. I don't call it an apron, because it doesn't have a hole with the crank through it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 08:22 pm:

:-) Some aprons are short and some are long, depends Oh never mind LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 10:58 pm:

Are low radiator cars more desirable than the high radiator cars? I tend to like the look of the low radiator cars, myself. Though I have a high radiator car. What year/month was the cutoff (approximately)?

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 11:26 pm:

Willis -- Most model years began 1 August of the previous calendar year. Ford began producing the 1924 model year cars (high radiator) in June of 1923, which was earlier than usual. That's why you hear some folks speak of "early '23" and "late '23" cars. The "late 23's" are actually '24 model year cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

According to Bruce McCalley's "Model T Ford, The Car That Changed the World":

1923-24
Higher radiator. Outer shell now had a skirt at the bottom, over engine mount area.

A little vague as to an exact date but I imagine, like so many other changes, it probably didn't happen all at once. Exact dates probably were a function of assembly location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 11:46 pm:

RE the low radiator cars; While I have both (21 & 25) the 21 with it's straight up and down windshield still to me is a little more antique then the modern slant windshield. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 12:14 am:

Thanks for the replies, I find it all very interesting! Mark, I know what you mean with the windshield. I like the flat windshield too. My T has the flat windshield being a Fordor.
I can’t help but wonder if the low radiator cars are more saut after or that really doesn’t matter to people? I wanted an early Fordor and my ‘23 (‘24) is what I found. I like the look of the 3 side windows. I had really contemplated a Centerdoor (‘20) but, what killed it was the fact that they are difficult to get in & out! As my wife & I are getting older it has been becoming an issue especially for my wife as she is a little older than I. I really enjoy rides with her so, that was the deciding factor.
Anyway, I like the look without the radiator “apron”.

Cheers,
Willis

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration