Off topic sorda,windsheild work

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Off topic sorda,windsheild work
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 04:11 pm:

I spoke to a fellow in March about the windshields for my pickup project.
In short,"Oh yea,I know exactly what you have there and know what to do with it,Just drop it off at the inspection station there beside hardees in town to save you some driving".
I did so,the fellow running the inspection shop said,"Oh yea,I do this to help him out as he is running constantly,just lay it right over here."
So I left 2 painted windshield frames with hinges and so forth,the brass trim, a complete frame with old glass assembled so he could see how it went together,and a sample piece of original glass out of the frame so he would have a pattern.All bolts had been got loose and everything was in great shape and painted that I wanted him to use.
Plus I left him a piece of paper from when another forum poster had his glass cut that had the numbers on it.
It has been 4 months. I started calling once about every 2 weeks about mid april. "Oh yea,it is ready,just havn't had a chance to drop it off to you." And I have heard that till about the end of may and then it was ,"Ok yea,I will come by there first thing in the morning."
Mid june,"OH yea,man,it has been along time,so long I am not even going to charge you for it,it was spare glass left over from another job,tell ye what,I will be by there Saturday about 10.".
Well I waited until Sunday,I went by the address that is claimed to be his shop, no where around. I called him,"OH,that is where I have the glass delivered,I will bring that stuff to you in the morning!". I sat around yesterday and at 11 am," I got a call to go to SC for a breakin,I will get it by there in the morning." I sat here till 2 pm.Using google I found his actual address and went by there. Nice place. His home-bussiness is only 20 miles from here. I would not have the least bit of problem with going by there after he gets home from a hard day to pickup my stuff.I never expected him to deliver it anyway.

My dad told me awhile ago,"Son,I will pay for the #*$&# lawyer if that is what you need to do to get your parts,this has drug on to long".
I hate to go that route.
I say all that to ask these questions.

How long do you folks consider "Normal" for this type work?

Am I wrong to be a bit annoyed?

Does anyone have any advice?

My current plan is to call him in the morning and tell him it would be fine if he leaned the windows against the windmill tower beside his green 69 chevy pickup and I can go by and pick them up.
This would let him know, 1, I am willing to pickup the items and be less inconvenience to him,and 2, I know where he sleeps.

I have missed several cruise in's I could have taken the T to had I been able to get complete it and get it dmv inspected and make sure it passed the club's specs for tours.So I have purty much lost 2018 to enjoy the thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

Mack If you need glass work again, Try Kannapolis Glass. They have done several for me and friends of mine. Good people to deal with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

Thanks,If this falls thru,I will need some help from another glass company for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 07:22 pm:

Mack,

Sorry to hear you're having so much trouble with this fellow but before I would hire an attorney I would call him and tell him "My attorney advised me to contact you and ask you to return the frame and windshield parts that you have of mine by 6 PM on July 19th or I will be forced to file a court claim against you" I would also contact the fellow who is his so called drop off man and tell him the same thing. If you don't receive any satisfaction by the deadline then I would contact an attorney and possibly the police. His drop off man may put added pressure on him if he thinks he is going to go to court too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don ellis on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 06:49 am:

I've never had it take more than a few days, this guy is jerking your chain. I think I might camp out at his place, he has to come home sometime. What year frame are you using?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 08:31 am:

Have been waiting on a update Mack, but not this kind. Sorry this last piece of our pick up puzzle has kept you from cruzin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 09:17 am:

Well I have to admit,I was working on my fenders and such until about a month after the windshield thing started and the delay took the wind out of my sails.So I am not done with the rear fenders and I was going need a bit of help cutting the boards around the pedals. BUT if the windshields had came thru,I coulda got the fenders done and been enjoying the truck by now without a couple boards in the floor.
I left word on his machine this morning I had waited 4 months and it was plenty of time and I had missed several cruise in's and so forth.In a semi sarcastic way I also said I would like my stuff back before winter time.
I had scrounged parts for years to have really good parts to use and once I got to looking,gosh the parts aint cheap! I would have to do some arithmetic but if he has lost my stuff it is not going to be cheap to replace those hinges and brass trim and so forth.

Don,these are 2 short frames I think.I will have to look at my extras and see what they were.I was going to use the large 1 for the bottom but felt it was to heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

After I left word on his machine,I got a call.
"yea,I will be in the area the next couple of days,been running hard all week.I will get that stuff to ye today or tomorrow,you say there is a fence along your driveway I can't miss seeing?"
Yep,and apparently he aint seen it yet because I still aint got my stuff.

I can't decide which way to go. I didn't stamp my name and phone number on each piece.I can't "prove" that 1 piece or another is mine except by pics like the 1's I posted on my project thread. I don't have recordings of our phone calls.
But yet,I am still out of my parts,alot of wasted time and aggravation.
Last time i was involved in consulting a lawyer it was about 75 a hour just to sit and talk to him. And that was a reduced rate for the fire department as we were afraid we were having some issues to contend with.

Lawyers and so forth could easily add up to more than the parts would cost.
BUT IF I let this "person" get away with giving me the dirty end of the stick he will only learn he can get away with it.
This is 1 of those times I wish my buddy that was a former Outlaw biker was still around.He died sadly about 5 years ago. But I promise you,if he walked up to you and "ask" for something that belonged to him or a friend of his,you would come up with it in short order!
I remember a few of his methods but I am in no shape to fight,don't like the idea of jail if I fail:-(
So as the old soap opera name says,"As the world turns".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:00 am:

Mack, you know where this guy lives, stop calling and go over and ask for your stuff back. It would be better to have the parts back without the work done than to have to find replacement parts. Oh, take someone with you, you should have a witness in case he wants to claim you threatened him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:17 am:

Good idea on taking a friend along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:33 am:

Mack, what Denny posted above wasn't hiring or talking with a lawyer but in your phone message let the person with your parts think you spoke with your lawyer. I have used that same tactic before and the thought of a lawyer getting involved got me my stuff back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

Well after I got home from the Oakboro Cruise in friday night I made yet another phone call. Of course got the answering machine. I said, "Hello,just doing my weekly phone call to check on my model T windshield stuff. I missed yet another cruise in with the T and would like to meet with you after you get home from church Sunday and pickup my stuff. Please give me a call"
My dad over heard what I said and he told me he could not believe I was being so nice over the phone. I have learned cussing and ranting can cause loss of credibility and just make things harder.Saterday I went to a nice engine and tractor show in Boone Nc and while there he called.
"Uh,I am going to leave your stuff over at the warehouse and I will let you know when I drop it off ok?," I said ok, how well did the glass fit in the brass channel? "It didn't" So the glass is not in the frames? "Uh No,1 of those brass pieces has a big kink in it and I couldnt fit the stuff."
I said ok.
So I go to get it today. Yep,I do have 2 peices of tinted glass cut to fit. The threads and screw heads are all rusted where the stuff must have been left out in the rain the bulk of the time he had it.I had got the brass trim from 1 of the Tarheel T members and it was all in great shape.1 piece is ruined. The paper that Hal Davis gave me when he gave me some old glass for samples is lost for good that had all kinds of numbers and such on it. :-(
But I feel lucky to get my parts back.
So looks like it will be time for me to get educated on windshield construction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

Glad you got your stuff back. Its too bad those people exist using good oxegen. Hope you are driving it soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

What probably happened was he cut the glass and tried to mount it, then messed it up and realized he was in over his head. Then, he dreaded telling you about it so much that he just couldn't face it, so he was paralyzed and just let it stew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 04:53 am:

Be happy you have the stuff back. It's best to kick the dust off your feet and move on. Get your glass done at a recommended shop, the guys on here can guide you straight. The end result: next year's touring will be all the more enjoyable because of overcoming these headaches. Best of luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 04:53 pm:

Years ago when I just started selling I called on a customer, a large lumber co well in conversation I noticed my big salesman book was missing from the counter so I told them to quit fooling with the new guy but they wouldn't listen so I took all the money out of the register and told them it was payment for my book, which was returned quickly, lesson learned.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 11:25 pm:

Yea,I will move forward.I have been under the hood of a 06 Mini cooper all day! :-(
Sometimes I fix things to help folks out and this was all but above my ability but I got it. :-)
Busted plastic fitting in line with the heater hoses. battery and stuff had to come out.
I do believe doing heart surgery on a squirrel thru his backside would be easier!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 02:09 pm:

Well,I took the frames and the glass that the fellow had cut to Wilson Autoglass in Kannopolis and 120 bucks and a week later it is done and back home.He set the glass in silicon i think he said. No brass trim.
it was a 100 miles of driving for the 2 trips there but at least it is done.Now to paint the frames and install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 04:26 pm:

Good to hear you have your windshield back. I just went through something similar with the windshield for my '14 farm truck. Was promised it would be done within a week and ended up taking almost a month. Any way when you get it installed how about a picture or two? It was your work earlier this year along with pictures that lit a fire under me to finish mine up. Just something about a Model T open express or farm truck that I like.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration