Where to get seats done

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Where to get seats done
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric schaefer on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 04:35 pm:

my 1922 model t has some incorrect seats in it now. basically just a rectangle seat and back thats comfortable but doesnt look right since its not the wrap around type style seat. my question is where is a place that can do this type of seats and do i need springs or anything im not sure how its suppose to be this is my first model t and i can just tell these seats in mine are not correct and i want to fix that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric schaefer on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

this cant be original..... looks like ill need to replace the seat and the interior side pieces as the ones on it are shot. any ideas where to get these from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

Eric,

Langs's or Synder's.

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 05:42 pm:

Just my opinion:

If you need seat and back springs, Snyder's makes good ones.

If you have a choice on the supplier of the seat kit, get a Classtique kit. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 05:51 pm:

Eric,

I used Cartouche and they came out well. Classtique is also well regarded. I recommend getting new springs for the cushion and the seat back. That way, you aren't fighting bad / incorrect springs, too. My back seat in my touring had a seat cushion spring instead of the correct seat back spring. A lot can happen in 100 years!

The cushions were easy (build a spring compressor to preload the springs), the seat backs required more work and time spent figuring out what the instructions really mean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

Snyder's makes the springs all the dealers sell, so you can get them there. I agree with Mark on the upholstery: Classtique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric schaefer on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

might be a dumb question but the seat back springs are flat is there no support around the sides going back towards the arm rest are? or is that just upholstery laying there

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 06:30 pm:

Just upholstery. Once you take your old seats and upholstery out, please take some pictures of your empty tub and post it here so that folks can see if you're missing any wood or other structure before you install the new springs and seat kit.

There is a 250K file size limit per picture. You can insert multiple pictures in a single post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric schaefer on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

hope these pictures help. there is not much wood just a metal seat rail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

Turn your steering wheel over!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

Looks like you're missing the wood structure that the seat back spring rests on, you can make your own or get it from fordwood.com.

http://www.fordwood.com/images/road17new.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 09:31 am:

What Dan said! It be on upside down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 09:41 am:

Looks like you also need the wood for the arm rests and the top of the body tub. If it were me, I would pull off the inside trim panels to see if any more body wood is damaged or missing.

Interesting application of water pipe insulation for the armrests! Looks like you have an interesting project that should keep you busy for a while. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric schaefer on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 11:21 am:

any images of what it should look like or plans to build these wood pieces?

or where to buy? ive looked at snyders and langs but cant tell exactly what i need since i have never seen what it is suppose to look like

under the panels seems to have all the wood there and in good shape its just the seats that are missing wood

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 11:34 am:

Leon Parker sells wood plans. You can send him a PM via this forum.

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=view_profile&profil e=leon_parker-users

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 11:36 am:

There are four pieces of wood that need to be attached to your body for the back rest to lay against. You need to find someone that is familiar enough with T's to identify if your cushions are correct or not. There is no reason to buy new ones if yours are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 11:22 am:

Another thing I noticed, the thin piece of channel going across your back panel. Originally, they had jute stuffed in there to eliminate vibration.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration