Height of a low head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Height of a low head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 08:45 pm:

Can anyone help me out with the height of a low head. I have a low head and want to know how much if any has been removed by resurfacing. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Low heads changed height a few times, could be around 2" up to 2-1/8" or anything in-between.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 09:48 pm:

Depends where you measure it. I would suggest at the head bolt bosses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Mine measures 2.098 / 2.095 bolt boss to surface. Is there any that knows the specs ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

Surely someone has the answer. I want to have one magnefluxed, baked and surfaced for my 13. It has an old Z on it that I would like to get rid of. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

Don

Older post with some more info, the last post lists the bolt boss height as 2 1/8" which is pretty much the height of the std. low heads, not the early '09-'10 style.

If you want to be real sure, cc the low head you have, this post lists the cc's on std. low heads.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/669693.html?1472099086

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

Thanks Dan. Thatís the info I want. I donít want to spend a bunch of $$$ on a head that is too far gone. Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

BTT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

If you check the encyclopedia for the changes in the cylinder heads and also the head bolts, you can work out what your head height for the year T you have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 06:52 am:

Don,

I have a low head that has been shaved quite a bit to raise the compression. It was shaved before I got it. It is into the water jacket in two places but these holes get closed off by the head gasket so I don't have a leak. It also looks like some machining was done to clear the pistons as they come up above the block and a repair was done to one bolt hole. So I would say that your head is not too far gone.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration