T Engine Squeal :-(

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: T Engine Squeal :-(
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 09:43 am:

Sunday when I came home and was backing into the driveway, going up a slight incline (~10 degs, over 30 feet). Not to run out of power I have to rev the engine a bit to get up the hill. This time when I almost got to the top, there was a loud but short squeal from the engine. It has NEVER done this before.

When I took off Sunday morning I checked the oil level. No flow from the top peacock, nice quick and steady flow from the lower. I have been leaking a lot more oil this year. I'm going to change the oil, and see how much is left in the pan, just in-case I am was low and it was due to low oil starvation due to the hill.

I have not looked into it yet, probably will not have time for two weeks.

Any other ideas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 09:55 am:

Opps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 10:03 am:

From what you describe, the amount of oil in the pan should have been adequate. I'd doubt your Lizzie was squealing for more oil - if it were me, I wouldn't change anything, I'd see if the symptom was consistent (i.e., same noise same place, same amount of oil) then add some oil and see if that cured it, or at least perhaps be able to identify the source of the noise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 10:10 am:

Band slippage? Reverse is notorious for being maladjusted since it doesnít get used often or for long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Fan hub can give a squeal if out of lube, bushing freezing up on fan shaft, or bushing spinning in the aluminum hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 10:58 am:

Were you in low band ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

I keep a quart under the seat, just incase, but it has never been needed.

Steve, this was in reverse.

I run Kevlar bands, Once adjusted, I really have not touched them much. I drive a LOT, if the weather in nice I put on at least 25 miles a day commuting to and from work. This is all inner city roads with a lot of stop and go traffic.

The reverse band does not get used much in comparison as the other two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

This is a worst case scenerao. Your end play in the crankshaft caused the crank to move forward which caused the magnets to scrape the magneto coil post frame. Does your magneto still work? Could also be caused by the planetary gears scraping the flywheel.

Try driving the car downhill with the and see if the scrape continues.

I would suspect the fan as others have posted and if you are running a water pump, maybe something there. Also check to see if the fan is hitting the radiator.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop, San Diego on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

FIRST A DISCLAIMER:
I'm the least knowledgeable person on the forum, but I'll take a shot!
When you checked the oil level, was the car on level ground? If so, no oil from upper petcock, but plenty from lower petcock. But......your problem occurred in reverse at the top of a 10+ degree incline after 30+ feet of travel. The oil in the car wasn't the same place at that time that it was when on level ground, and you say it's been leaking more than before? It might only be 1/4 inch above the lower petcock when on level ground! (that's almost 2 quarts low?)
I'd fill it with oil until it runs out the top petcock (level ground), then try your driveway again in reverse (after closing the petcock-don't ask me how I know:-) ).
Easy, cheap, quick, then if there is still a squeal, check the adj of the reverse band like Dan B says, if OK,THEN you can tear the car apart. Just my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 03:29 pm:

Are you sure the noise was coming from the engine? The numbers you give, 10 deg for 30 ft,equal about a 5 ft vertical rise for the driveway. You were backing and revving the engine some, it could be that the short sequel sound was a rear tire slipping and spinning a little as it crested the grade break at the top of the driveway. The oil level was between petcocks and you were backing up only 30 ft, not a 1/4 mile, you should be OK. I would make sure the U joint and front driveshaft bushing have some more grease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 11:22 pm:

I have not checked the fan, but I doubt it was that, but I will not rule it out.

U-Joint, I rebuilt the rear end this winter, I have greased the U-joint and bushing a few times this summer. I made it easy by adding remove grease zerks. I had been thinking I was over greasing.

As for wheel slip, that has happened in the past in the fall with a few leaves on the driveway, and it did not sound like that, and the sound clearly came from the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 08:00 pm:

Jason,

I've had that happen from time to time, especially in reverse. I doubt it was your engine. I believe it was probably from your transmission. I wouldn't worry about it unless it does it again and frequently.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 04:56 pm:

Did you run over the cat's tail?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

My guess is that it was the throw-out bearing. It is fairly common for the throw-out bearing to squeal when it is a bit starved for oil. There is probably no real harm done. Maybe add a quart of oil to help prevent it happening again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 05:19 pm:

Tom - What specifically are you referring to as the throw-out bearing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

Bring your oil level up & drive the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

Dan B,

I believe Tom is referring to the bronze collar on that pushes back against the clutch spring, allowing for neutral. I agree with him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

I think the issue was low oil.

I changed the oil today and there was less than 2 quarts of oil (about 1.7 liters).

Went out for a drive and it was nice and quiet when I got home :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:24 am:

Amazing how a fan can make a noise that makes you think itís something more important. Might be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:35 am:

Less than 2 quarts? You are either burning a lot of oil or have a significant oil leak or both. May want to check the oil level in your rear differential to see if any has accumulated back there. If so that may indicate signifant wear of the 4th main bearing or that you are missing the welch plug in the transmission shaft.

Either way I would investigate including an internal audit of your last oil change.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

I have an oil leak this year, I think it is leaking through the starter. I pit new cardboard down this spring, and the piece under the engine is soaked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

Jason, sometimes a leak at the starter just needs the bolts tightened. VOE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

Ten degrees is not a slight incline!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration