Aluminum Handle Crank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Aluminum Handle Crank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron MacIntyre on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

How can I tell the difference between a repro and original aluminum crank handle >

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 04:03 pm:

Would think by weight. Believe the originals were a casting of aluminum, with hollow chamber inside. Counter bores at each end for the axle pin.

Modern replica would be turned from solid alum stock.

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on July 18, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Petoskey, MI on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 07:46 am:

Dan ... so .. not knowing much about aluminum ... I'm assuming the older, cast aluminum would be heavier?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:31 am:

I think Dan is saying the cast piece with voids would be lighter than one turned from a solid billet. ?!? How do you tell if they're installed ? If they are in place they'd be difficult to weigh accurately.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 11:16 am:

Some of the originals have a half round notch on the back side. Another way to tell, unless the handle is NOS, is there will have been a significant amount of wear on the bore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

As Larry posted, the original would look worn, the 10 rings probably worn too, and nicks and or other damage.

The interior of the handle is hollow, as you can see by the dotted lines on the print.

T-520....BTW, the print calls out aluminum handle to be Black Enamel finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Here is a close up of the notch that Larry is talking about on the crank handle on my late '13.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

Dan, is the drawing you post that of an aluminium handle? the black rubber/phenolic handles had the ribs but I do not recall the alloy ones being the same.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

Interesting example of the blueprint specs not necessarily being what was produced. Notes show the drawing was last revised January 8, 1912.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:24 am:

Dan, the question is for an aluminum handle. I have an original '13 engine I bought several years ago, and it still has the original starting crank and handle. The crank has never been removed, and the ratchet is still riveted to the starting crank. There is no notch. I have a mint starting crank on my '13 roadster that I bought several years ago at Hershey with only .001" wear. I paid $20 for it. I lucked out on that one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:28 am:

Larry, does it have the ribs like the drawing shows ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 11:22 am:

Allan

Yes, the print rev Jan 8, 1912 gives material as aluminum, its a casting too, as you can see the hollow design, wall thickness 3/32", has 10 'rings' turned on the outer.

The later handles in aluminum are smooth as Larry showed, but I don't know the spec, if cast or if Ford turned the handle from bar stock. Normally Ford cast the alum, to save expense of material, but have to defer to others if the later smooth handles are solid aluminum originally.

Only have these two drawings of the T-520, the Jan 8,1912 rev, which is painted alum with rings, and the Jan 9, 1909 rev, but its of hard rubber and has cross knurling and ring borders.

Jan 9, 1909 rev

Jan 8, 1912 rev

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

Thanks Dan. I wonder if Rich is correct, the blueprint not reflecting reality? Has anyone fossil evidence of ribbed alloy handles?

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration