Transmission Noise?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Transmission Noise?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seaton Howell on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 07:03 pm:

Hello, I am new to the forum and also a new "T" owner. I had some experience with a "T" when I was about 12 y/o but nothing since then. 63 y/o now. i traded a 1954 Cadddy coupe deville for 1927 "T" sight unseen. Was suppose to running and driving but it had not been run in many years. Flushed the tank and got it running. I put a new set of bands in trans and have got them adjusted ok now. This car has been modified also with the addition of a water pump, distributor, and alternator. The car runs great now but it has a noise when in low or reverse, also a little bit in neutral but quite as can be in high gear. Could this be the triple gears or is it something else. Thanks in advance for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

That's a planetary transmission - some are quieter than others !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

Check the rear end oil to make sure it's not low and check the universal to make sure it has enough grease. Sometimes the noise travels and you think it's the transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

I guess it makes sense that noises from elsewhere would come out the transmission, itís vaguely megaphone-shaped while the rest is all pipes!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

If the rear axle lube was "low" it would make the same noise in all gears - Seaton stated that's not the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

Seaton, some say the quietest transmissions are the ones that are worn out. :-) How did everything look overall when you had the bands out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

There's always going to be a little noise from softest to loudest in neutral, low, reverse. In each case, the clutch is in so that can generate a small amount of noise. In the case of low and reverse, gears also come into play.

Some might not notice noise in neutral but, if you have a quiet motor and a good muffler, listen closely and you will hear it.

It's quiet in high because the clutch is out and the transmission isn't doing anything but rotating as one solid mass in line with the crankshaft, flywheel and driveshaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

That's normal. Don't worry about it unless it's alarmingly loud.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seaton Howell on Wednesday, July 18, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

Thanks so much for the info. It looked fine when I replaced the bands and it really did not need them. Now all I have to do is lose a little more weight and I might be able to get behind the wheel. Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration