Great auto shop experience - windshield frames

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Great auto shop experience - windshield frames
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Petoskey, MI on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 07:31 am:

Thought I'd post a good experience I had at auto shop the other day. I wanted to replace the glass in my '24's windshields with safety glass, and was having a buggar of a time removing the retention screws holding the caps on the bottom of the upper windshield. Sprayed it with PB Blaster for a week, and kept trying .. even with an impact screwdriver, to no avail. I figured it would need some heat, which I didn't have, as I was staying at a freind's house. I did a search for an 'auto shop near me', and picked Masterworks just down the road from work. (Stephenson Highway in Sterling Heights).
I took it in during my lunch hour, and apparently caught just the end of theirs. Several folks were setting at a table in their break room, and one fellow offered to take a look at what I had. We took it back to a workbench vise, and he went to work. I went to the lobby and started reading the posters and postings on the wall. Turns out this was Masterworks .... (meant nothing to me) .. but apparently quite a notable restoration shop, largely dedicated to Corvettes ... and the guy that was working on my windshield, was the owner .. Werner Meier. Both Mr Meier and his shop are apparently well known in the Corvette circle. Luckily, he didn't thumb his nose at a 'lowly little Ford'.

One of his fellow workers brought it up front and layed it on a cardboard box, and Mr Meier walked by towards the display case. I asked how much the damages would be be and he said oh ... nothing .... "I'll catch you next time". I was blown away ... and thanked him profusely. That happened to have been the 2nd random act of kindness I received in two days. For the owner of a company to take his own time and do such a mundane task as remove a couple stuck screws, was refreshing indeed. I felt it was something like 'from one restorer to another'. If I ever have any real restorative work to be done on any of my cars ... I know where I'm going!!

I have since taken the complete frames and old glass to Henderson Glass in Auburn Hills. They have a fellow that has quite a bit of experience working on replacing glass in vintage vehicles. ... and HE did a great job ... even salvaging the original brass filler, and re-fitted the new glass with it in the frames. Another A1 job!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 08:05 am:

There are good people in this world yet. A real car guy for sure.
Good to hear stories like this as most are on the other side of right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:10 am:

Tell me about it Dallas, (last sentence). I have a horror story going on with a vendor on this Forum that refuses to give me my money back on some "junk" he sent me. This guy is a "scammer" and a lousey one at that !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:36 am:

I just checked the windshield in my '27 T. When I hold a flame near it (either half), I see a double reflection in the glass. I tried the same thing with a known piece of single-layer plate glass and got one reflection. I'm assuming that this means that a previous owner did the swap to safety glass. Am I correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:32 am:

Look at the edge, if you see two layers of glass will filler in the middle then yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 11:13 am:

I am glad you folks are getting good help with your windshields. I have had alot of good people help me over the years and I reckon when it came to my windshields it was just my time to pay the fiddler.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration