T is not running smooth

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: T is not running smooth
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:02 am:

hi to all,
mi 1914 touring is not running smooth.
i changed the spark plugs, new coils and adjustet the timing. what else it could be. the timer is a new day timer with brush (this is the only thing that i did not change yet)

thanks
martin

(Message edited by martin on July 19, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:15 am:

Clean or replace your sparkplugs....Basics first...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Are all the connections on the coil box tight along with other electrical connections ? What about gas flow and condition of gas.
I have New Day Timers on my cars. I did replace the brush with a new one and it runs fine. Also is the surface in the timer smooth? I resurfaced one of mine and the performance is fine and my 21 runs smooth.
I did have an intermittent miss in my 24 Coupe that drove me crazy till I checked all the coil box wiring and found a slightly loose nut on No.3. I tightened it up and all is well. I spent hours checking and removing this and that when all I had to do was to tighten that nut!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:22 am:

spark plugs are new
wiring checked and they are ok

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:32 am:

Maybe the carb adjustment? Did you try shorting out the plugs to determine if it's in one cylinder? If it's not a clear miss and it's running uneven or seems sluggish try the Carb adjustment moving it rich to lean and so on.
If that's not it it could be the timer brush spring is weak and not making steady contact. I bought the brush that Snyders sells and it works fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:58 am:

i changed the mixture but it not runs realy better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

Check your timer and wipe it out. Make sure it's smooth inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

Check to be sure that your intake manifold gaskets are not leaking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

Have you checked the Magneto contact on top of the transmission cover?
I don't have early T's but my 1919 Runabout was running a little rough for a while until it finally died. It started OK and ran OK on battery. It always ran OK on mag but this time it started running rough and wouldn't hardly run. After I got home I found there was a small amount of lint under the contact. If you check the mag contact make sure the spring is making a good contact and is centered on top of the lead button on the mag ring.
Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 08:59 pm:

John K. inadvertently brings up a very good point. Whether the car runs rough on magneto but ok on battery, or visa versa, or, if it runs rough on BOTH magneto AND battery, this can be a help in chasing down the problem. In other words, whether it's carburetor/fuel problems or ignition problems,....FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:31 pm:

Check the timer that you haven't changed yet. Maybe dirty, maybe brush is worn, maybe floppy in there. Give it a good going over. Kinda like Hal said!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By martin on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 02:20 am:

i go to check the timer and then we will see
thank you

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration