Replacing rear axle sleeve

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Replacing rear axle sleeve
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig bothwell on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Volumes have been written about removing T axle sleeves. There are videos and diagrams and special tools, etc.
O.K....got it.
Now, what is the most effective method of replacing the axle sleeve.
(have been schooled re. right vs left, aligning the grease cup hole / dimple, etc). But, to compress the sleeve so it will return to its happy home...a hose clamp, or what ?

Thanking all of you in advance,

Craig Bothwell

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:29 pm:

Craig...yep, just a simple hose clamp works. Hardest thing in a way is lining up the sleeve to the dimple and the grease cup hole..I just use a paint pen to make marks on the end of the axle tube for an indicator..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ

About 2:55 in. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 11:09 pm:

For most part that is what I did. But I needed to move the clamp up to the top to help get the dimple past the outer edge of the axle housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 07:30 am:

I used a hose clamp about a half inch above the end that goes in first, pushed it in, loosened the clamp, moved it up, tightened, etc. Be careful on the last part and make sure to align it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 09:18 am:

Jason..I have found that once the dimple is at the outer edge of the housing, as long as you've got it lined up in the right spot, just a few taps with a hammer will "send it home". Never had a problem doing that. I also do the same procedure John Annaian just mentioned. It's super easy. Just sayin'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:25 am:

I converted an wood woodworkers clamp to have two semicircular seats ... on the inside of the jaws. Clamp down the sleeve enough for the sleeves to fit the axle housing opening and push in ... then remove clamp.

The plain old removing / seating tool thats been sold by vendors for years is great once you have the sleeves started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By craig bothwell on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

Thanks guys,

Hose clamp worked. Grease holes and dimple all lighted up.
Gently tapped the sleeve but it won't go all the way in. Hangs up leaving about a quarter inch beyond the axle housing.

Ideas ??

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

1/4 inch is too much in my opinion.

If the neoprene inner seal is installed, its extra thickness can cause the sleeve to stick out by 1/16 inch or so (the thickness of the edge of the seal). In that case, it is acceptable to grind 1/16 inch or so off of the inside edge of the sleeve to allow for the extra thickness of the seal.

If it were me, and the sleeve was indeed sticking out by 1/4 inch, I would take the sleeve back out and shine a light into the end of the axle housing to see what is stopping the sleeve from going further in. Maybe there was already an inner seal in place and somebody drove in another one on top of it, in which case I would pull them both out and re-install the modern neoprene sleeve, making sure it goes in all the way to the step in the axle housing. Hopefully that will get the extra sleeve length down to the 1/16 inch that can be fixed by grinding. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

If the dimple and grease hole line up then something else is going on to have 1/4” sticking out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen, Madera California, USA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 05:14 pm:

The 1/4" out is a lot. If it is not like Mark says,two seals, then sometimes the repo type inner seal will hang up on the axle tube to backing plate rivet heads. Depending on the type of seal you are using a little careful grinding on the seal holder, not the seal itself, may also be needed. If you are using the modern type seal it should go as Mark said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

I found that a “no hub” coupler that is used to connect cast iron drain pipe together works fabulous. It is much wider than a hose clamp so it evenly compresses the sleeve which makes installation easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 04:36 am:

Tim makes a good point. If that sleeve is ground off to drive it further into the housing, then the dimple will no longer line up and the shell will not be seated correctly in the housing. In his words, "Something else is going on."

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 11:11 am:

If you grind off the inner end of the sleeve, the dimple and grease hole should line up and the outer end should line up with the axle housing. If it hangs out after you grind it, your inner seal is not seated.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

Tim, maybe we are reading 'lined up' incorrectly. Perhaps Craig means he has the dimple and the greaser hole lined up so that when the sleeve is driven in the dimple lines up with the recess in the axle housing. Perhaps all is lined up, but the dimple is not yet 'seated' in the recess, which may mean the inner end of the sleeve is hanging up on a seal or some such.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration