Time to remind posters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Time to remind posters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

OK call me lazy, but I need to,remind people that it would be helpful to add your location to your logos on info so we can see where you live.

Many of us would be happy to help a newbie that lives within a hour or so of us or where we travel to give hands on help but we will not travel a gazillion Miles.

From past posts I know that some are not willing to say exactly where they live because they are afraid that some sicko will steal from them but why not give a general area?

I might be Old School but It is easy to hide behind a screen name, want to run your mouth and “pontificate” and not directly help newbies or those that don’t have deep technical knowledge.

In many ways you old farts are part of killing the hobby because your are pushing people away instead of welcoming them into your clique with open arms.

If you really care about the future of Model T’s why not act like you care instead of ride an ego trip?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

Sorry I crossed two related issues.

1 your location so you can directly help and welcome others

2. The Model T cliques and exclusionists

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Thanks, Fred, but reminder not necessary.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 09:59 pm:

Ego trip is an extreme description and not really relevant here. There are many great people commenting on this site who care about our hobby. I have been a member of many forums over the last 20 years or so. This is the first site where I feel comfortable using my full name and city. I trust this community like no other.

Not everyone has made the same determination as I have. Give them time. There are some great commentators here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:20 pm:

Mark

I didn’t make any comment about people not being great commutators or the fantastic help on the forum. They are here!

But are you suggesting that, there are numerous cliques and people with ego trips on the forum!

If you are suggesting that you don’t understand the interactions in organization and forums such as this. There are always cliques (exclusionary) and self serving people in groups of people. When they become them norm then group ultimately dies. Just saying!

Where is your location in your user name?
Remember, I am an old lazy guy that want info right /now,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

It's nice to include your location beside your name, but I'd settle for everyone at least putting it in their profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 10:47 pm:

Steve, I'm W U. I look at profiles often just to see where people live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 12:39 am:

Mark What Fred and others have asked many times is for you to add youe LOCATION to your name so we can easily see if you happen to be on the same side of the world.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 04:15 am:

Well I don't live in the forest. My town is named after Thomas Jefferson's summer home, Poplar Forest. So Forest, Va it is. Ask anyone where the nut with the brass era cars lives....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 05:21 am:

Where is your location in your user name?

Hi Fred, no, my user name does not have my location, that info is in my profile - just click on the name in the post header. I also have a picture of my TT truck.

Cheers, Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 05:50 am:

It’s all on my profile ... but sure I’ll do it. How does one do it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:53 am:

If a person doesn't want to list his city, that's ok, but then use something to show where you are like: Southern Illinois or Upstate New York, etc. to at least give an approximate idea of where you are.

That's the end of my rant, but Fred, I appreciate that you've brought this up again.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Mark O., click on User Profile at the top of this page. Log in. Go down to Information About You. Add a location after your Full Name. Click on Save Profile Changes. Done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L. Myers, Greenville on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 01:09 pm:

OK, I'm in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

I like having my location next to my name. I have had over a dozen forum members write me asking how life is here in the T-less zone and considering retirement here :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 01:31 pm:

Partly, Dale. There are Greenvilles in at least five states, possibly more. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

-Steve-
Help me out.... My 'search' doesn't identify another "Green Bay".

It's Summertime - 'Enjoy a Sweet-T with your Sweetie!'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 03:03 pm:

Marv, I believe it is like Satanta, Gas, and Zzyzx. Unique.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 05:00 pm:

There's a Greenville in PA? Didn't know that. MS? AL? GA? SC? NC? Yep, knew about all of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

Thanks Steve ... compliant now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

If it wasn't for the fact that a fellow poster on this forum put his State and the town he lives in in his profile I would have never known he lives 2 miles away from me! He has the same exact year and model as I and we have become good friends helping each other out. So its an advantage to put your location info down! Doug

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

-Dale, Hal & others-
We've got a Greenville, Wisconsin too! Plus we've got a Forum poster friend who even lives there! Greenville is located just west of Appleton, between there and Hortonville. A guy by the name of Alonzo Horton founded Hortonville, then went west and actually helped in the founding and development of San Diego, CA. Look up the name...

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

Alonzo Horton may have helped in the development of San Diego, but the founding was in 1769 by Spanish explorers and missionaries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 11:32 pm:

-Steve-
He bought land between the original community toward the San Diego Bay, developing there from what I understand. At least that's the believable part from Wikipedia.....

"Happy T-ing!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 07:15 am:

We lived in Greenville at opposite ends of the eastern time zone. It makes conversation complicated.

“Remember the gas station with the race car in Greenville?”
“The shell station?”
“No! The mobile.”
“They didn’t have a mobile gas station in Greenville.”
“Yes they did. It was on the corner near the school.”
“Oh you mean Greenville Ohio, not Greenville Rhode Island!”
“Yes flat land Greenville, not small land Greenville.”

“Remember the big church on the corner?”
“The flat Greenville or the small Greenville?”
“Hudson - We didn’t live in a big Greenville.”
“Which Hudson?”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 08:45 am:

Marv: We did a drive by of the Green Bay WI area enroute from Minneapolis to NY on Thursday, will do the same in 2 weeks when we return to WI for the Menominee Nation Pow-Wow in early August. The weather Channel lists 7 locations in addition to Green Bay WI. These are in VA, NZ, 4 in Canada, and one in Antigua. The others do not have NFL teams or Big Boy locomotives as yours does. Best, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Horton, Utah on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Looks like us Hortons get around. My wife and I visited the Wagon Box Fight in Northern Wyoming a couple of days ago and found out that the relief force that arrived to turn the tide of battle in favor of the military had a medical officer that brought along a keg of whiskey and issued a ration to each of the survivors. His name was Horton. Must be in the genes!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 09:48 am:

-Hey, James!-
I suspect I would enjoy that Green Bay, Antigua!!! (Could we ask for it during January?) BTW - Were you able to 'honk' as you went by up here? :-)
The Menominee folk are some REAL down-to-earth people, with Keshena as one of my favorite places to visit, especially walking the 'Falls'. Naturally beautiful!
The Oneida's (also from upstate NY) just held their Pow-Wow event, simultaneous to the LPGA Tour event out at Thornberry Creek. Mesmerizing, and very colorful.
Most people don't know about the National Railroad Museum being here in Green Bay. Ike's WWII 'Command Car' left an impression with me.
If your 'bucket list' hasn't yet included visiting Lambeau Field or the Packers' HOF, consider doing so. The HOF here is larger (& nicer) than the NFL's in Canton.... But allow yourself more than a few hours to include a Stadium Tour. History! 2018 begins the 100th season of play, (still & always in Green Bay) with many commemorative events. The NFL Network will be 'live' with Packers' Camp next week. It all began with leather helmets and no 'sissy' face masks either!
So, when you're going past, perhaps you can at least 'wave'???

It's Summertime - 'Enjoy a Sweet-T with your Sweetie!'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:03 am:

I tried to do what Steve Jelf suggested, but it would not allow me to type in anything after my username.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:07 am:

Greenville, New Hampshire

Greenville, Maine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:12 am:

Thanks, Marv: I will say I would not have posted to you if I had not seen your location in your post. The Menominee & Oneida are my wife's people, her grandparents lived across the road from Keshena falls. The train museum in GB is a favorite visit, Ike's command car was touring Europe last time I stopped. Happy Model T trails to you, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 11:23 am:

I know a Horton but he is into Model A's :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Matthiesen, Madera California, USA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:49 pm:

Thanks, Steve Jelf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

My store is in Excelsior MN. Put 239 Water St, Excelsior MN in Google Maps. My home address is Long Lake, but that is the post office address. I live in the City of Orono on the shore of Stubbs Bay, Lake Minnetonka.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 06:19 pm:

The only "Horton" I knew heard a Who.

Not a city, nor even incorporated town. But there is a Greenville area outside Livermore Califunny (I hope that little twist doesn't confuse anyone too much?). The Greenville area is best known for the fault that runs through it which caused the Great Livermore Earthquake of 1980 (magnitude 5.5, although some sources say 5.8). I was UNDER a mobile home doing a cable repair when that one hit. I think I broke the belly-crawl speed record getting out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 09:53 am:

How about the people who ask questions about their cars, but fail to include the year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Larry, the year isn't important, ALL model T's are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 10:30 am:

Only problem by putting your name as part of your handle, is if you move....(Ok even that can be fixed)
People that worry about someone finding you if your town is listed, all someone had to do is follow you and find where you live anytime you drive your car. Just because you haul your car in an enclosed trailer, prying eyes see all! Esp if you have a big sign on the side with what might be inside. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration