Strategic Air Command Museum car show this weekend

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Strategic Air Command Museum car show this weekend
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 11:53 pm:

Ford Model T's (and one Model K) are featured at this years annual Strategic Air Command Museum, located between Omaha and Lincoln Nebraska, just off Interstate 80. For anyone passing through Nebraska on I-80, this is one of many unique and interesting museums along the route (don't forget the late Speedy Bill Smith Museum of Speed in Lincoln and two great car museums near Kearney Nebraska, one of which has been around for decades, Pioneer Village).

I'll post pics of Fords and other interesting cars Saturday and Sunday. The cars are interspersed among aircraft and exhibits of war birds and exhibits about our country's military heritage since the advent of aircraft.

Driving into and locating in the massive hangars that house this amazing collection:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lhw2espj367h7o/Video%20Jul%2019%2C%203%2051%2043%20PM.mov?dl=0

The 1910 Model T touring beside our K was assembled at the Omaha Ford Branch, and has always resided in the Omaha Nebraska area:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, July 19, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

That's a wonderful museum- we went there after the speedster reunion several years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 09:31 am:

Thanks for posting that, Rob. As an old SAC-trained killer I hope to visit that museum some day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 09:41 am:

I was in SAC from July 1963 to July 1967. Little Rock AFB Arkansas - we had a wing of B-47s when I got there that were replaced by B-58s a year later, and a wing of Titan II missiles. Peace was our profession. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:06 am:

I was stationed at a SAC base for years and never knew there was a museum. Would love to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:37 am:

Ah, the Snark, one of SACs less than successful projects. Wonderful museum though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

We visited the museum today and it is an amazing exhibit. Rob has a prime location for his K, under the SR71 in the entrance. I enjoyed visiting with Rob and Jeff Fries, owner of the '10 Touring in Rob's photo. Model T's and A's dominated the main gallery and east hangar. Most of the other cars are in the west hangar. There is definitely something for everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:22 am:

Turns out we won first place. Several Model T owners said they were happy an early car won. This is the first trophy I will keep in the house, as there were many quality cars spread across many years.

Normally I'm not a "car show" person, however this is an invitation only show and we are among many warbirds and a great museum.

Motorcycle winner, 1938 Indian:

A young person judging group chose this car as their winner:

An early Ford. I left the rocks in the tire ribs and the bugs in the radiator. We still won........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 01:17 am:

I believe "Congratulations!" are in order, and well deserved. I believe that you are not a real "car show" type of hobbyist. I never have been either. However, showing the cars and spreading the knowledge is important (and can be fun!). Car shows are a great way to do this. Working on the cars is its own reward. Driving them, one as "a man and his machine" is pure pleasure. Trophies? A few of them can fun also. Enjoy it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 01:33 am:

"We still won..." Duh. ;-)
Very cool.
Point is: You drive that ol' car verses some that...
Wayne has it right. Congratulations sir. !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:57 pm:

I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB for part of my Air Force service.

SAC sure was different than PACAF (Pacific Air Forces) and Clark Air Base.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 05:59 pm:

I wasnít a SAC trained killer. I was MAC. Det 5 40 ARRS Air Rescue. 75 to 83.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 06:57 pm:

Congratulations Rob
How many hours did you spend inserting the bugs in the radiator and the stones in the tires?...We all know it's a trailer queen. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

I have enormous respect for veterans with combat experience, but I always tell them that they should be very glad that I have no combat experience because I was in SAC. Any combat I might have been involved in would have been a nuclear war. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Nice, Congrats

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 10:54 am:

I was in SAC in 63-67 stationed in Columbus, Miss
and Guam. I knew several combat vets. One local kid sadly never came back. Those who show disrespect for our country should think of all
of those who had lives and hopes and dreams but never came back to try and fulfill them so the rest of us could

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 11:06 am:

Gordon, just looked up Columbus AFB. You were there at the same time I was at Little Rock. We also had a squadron of KC135s. Ours went to Eielson in Fairbanks for weekly alerts, and there was an unpressurized compartment under the wing that was known as the crabmeat locker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 02:02 pm:

Congratulations Rob. Iím sure my Hupmobile gave you a run for the money.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration