Battery disconnect

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Battery disconnect
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:38 am:

What is the best way to disconnect the battery when the T is not in use. I take both cables off the battery as I do not drive it every day. Should I put on a battery switch to make it easier to disconnect? I also use a maintainer. I have read on the forum that if the switch goes bad, it could damage the generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 10:57 am:

Lots of cars have them. It should be on the ground side if you install one. Get a good one not a cheap one. Depends on what cutout you have, the original ones have a shunt wire so when the motor is running the points are open the gen output goes to ground. The switch going bad would be the same as a fuse blowing on the main line. Not saying not to install fuse or shut off, both are a good thing.
Maybe the question might be, as this is related to your question, if your running on magneto with modern cutout, what would happen if the fuse or switch went out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 11:00 am:

Normal for me is not to disconnect the battery in the garage. Of course, my T's have fuse at the yellow battery + wire to the terminal block to protect all the wiring, if any get frayed and ground out.

And I never leave a battery tender or charger un-attended. Things can go wrong with overcharging a battery and you are not around to notice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Why would it make any difference as to where the fuse is placed as long as it is on the yellow wire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 03:57 pm:

What amp fuse would yall recommend for this? I have a 1915 Touring and all that is on the battery is initial ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts; Naples Fl on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

I was thinking a 10 Amp

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 04:25 pm:

Garland

Depending on your battery type and your wiring to the ignition switch and to the coil box. The available current to the wiring and switch is the determining factor.

My T's use Red Top Optima storage battery 6v, with 800 cold cranking amps. Stock T wiring circuits for starter / generator equipped are #12 and #16 ga wires in the looms.

So my fuse is 25amp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 04:39 pm:

Thanks guys. Dan, I agree with you. I only connect my maintainer when I am home and never over night. When the battery is charged, I disconnect even though the instructions say it will not overcharge. I think I will continue disconnecting the battery cables manually instead of installing a switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garland E Pobletts; Naples Fl on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 04:40 pm:

I have a yellow top 6V Optima battery. No starter, no electric lights. Would like to use the smallest fuse I can. I guess my question is really how much do the coils draw while running on battery so I know what size would be the smallest I could use; rather it blow the fuse then burn the wire. Wiring looks like probably #16. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 06:33 pm:

Dan Treace has it right

Dave - It only makes a difference insofar as the exposure of the yellow wire. The fuse protects everything down stream from a phase to ground fault. By placing the fuse close to the switch, then only the wire between it and the switch are left unprotected.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration