Valve tappets

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Valve tappets
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS SHEPPARD on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 03:51 pm:

I have a 1919 tt truck putting in new rings rods pistons bands valves and tappets. Which tappets should I use 2 wrench or 3wrench ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

i like 3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 08:27 pm:

I prefer the two wrench type. Besides being easier to adjust, the thin locknut on the three wrench type is eliminated. On more than one occasion, I have stripped the thread on a locknut and had to manufacture another nut by grinding down a full sized nut.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 09:54 pm:

If the engine is down here is what I would do; install the cam and lifter of your choice. With the lifter riding the cam see how far down you would need to trim the lifter bosses so you can adjust the lifter when installed with out having to crank the motor over to lift the it up to get to the flats on it. Then drop it back down to check then back up to adjust....each time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

Non adjustable lifters...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 12:00 am:

The last time I rebuilt my engine (2010), I bought a new set of adjustable valve tappets, which I could not use, because the head of the nuts that screw into the tappets were so thick, I was unable to adjust them to the proper gaps even when I screwed them all the way in. When I compared the new adjustable tappets with my old ones I purchased in 1970, I found that the heads of the nuts were much thinner, enabling me to adjust them to the proper gaps. I ended up re-using my old tappets and scrapping the new ones. Hopefully this flaw has been corrected. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 01:27 am:

I have yet to install a set that I did not have to shorten the valve stems.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration