How Do I Remove This Retaining Ring?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: How Do I Remove This Retaining Ring?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

Look at the 3:00 O'Clock position on the hub.

This is the retaining ring mentioned in an earlier thread.

What tool(s) can you recommend to remove this ring so that I can press the gear off the shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Seager on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 05:20 pm:

You have to press the gear on a little farther so you can get the retainer out and then press the gear off. You will need a press for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 05:21 pm:

you have to press the gear onto the shaft a bit more, then the ring comes off, THEN the gear comes off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 05:22 pm:

1 Press the gear about " farther onto the shaft;
2 remove the retainer;
3 press the shaft out of the gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

ECHO - ECHO - ECHO - Hello, anyone out there ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 08:10 pm:

Bill, the only reason I can surmise to remove that good gear is the axle must be toast. If that is the case, I would cut the axle off an inch or two outboard of the gear, then press the gear onto the axle as others have suggested to get the TWO parts of the circlip out. Then you can press the axle piece out of the gear.

The gears can be super tight on the axle shaft. Loading up the pressure on the gear on a full length axle can seriously bow/bend the axle, and if things get slightly out of line, there can be a nasty result. That is why I cut the axle short.

Replacing the gear on a new shaft presents the same difficulties. A tight gear means the axle shaft should be well supported. The tapered end can be fitted into a used hub so the thread on the end takes no weight. The axle shaft itself may need to be contained in a tubular sleeve to stop it deforming. Or you may be fortunate that things will go on with relative ease

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Clear instructions in Ford Service, necessity of a Ford owner to keep a copy in the garage.

And when putting on the new axle to the gear, be sure the final placement of the Woodruff key does not stand out from the gear face, or that sharp square end edge will grind on the Hyatt bearing cage. Oh, be sure the gear you use isn't like this problem child :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, July 20, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

What happens from time to time is the gear is almost impossible to press on a new shaft. The reason being the new shafts are turned within a OD range of a variance of a very few thousandths.
If you try to install your gear which has an ID at the top of the range used for the axle OD you may not press it on
Ford had an acceptable range for the axle and gears and most of the time the gears pressed on OK but not always. I happened to buy a new axle and upon trying to install my gear it wouldn't go on..
I returned the axle to the vendor and he sent me a new one that fell in the range for my gear ID.
He told me it does happen infrequently.
This is why it's sometimes tough to press off the gear from an old axle. I have a feeling Ford experienced the same thing at the factory. They had stacks of axles and boxes of gears to assemble and I suspect there was a small pile of rejects because of this happening.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration