1926 value cover gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1926 value cover gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Ashley on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:15 am:

What is the correct position for the one piece gasket? when look through the cab cutout hole I can see the #3 value and oil in coming down the side of
cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 11:15 am:

It really only goes one way, George - the oil drain holes go down and the two ends match the shape of the valve chamber of the block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 11:18 am:

Are you talking about oil coming out the hole for the throttle rod and running down the outside? The one piece gasket has drain holes punched in it, they should be at the bottom. If they are at the top, the void between the gasket and cover can fill up and you might have leakage. If the gasket is on correct, I would check to make sure the drain holes in the bottom of the valve chamber are open, sounds like yours are not and might be getting a lot more splash then you should.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 11:37 am:

As Steve said, there is only one way for it to go on to line up with the hole in the valve cover, which is the only way for the throttle rod to reach the carburetor.

While the hole is a concern to some as a source for leakage, I have never seen anything other than smoke or vapor come out of the hole. Never liquid oil. I suppose if you were really concerned about leakage, you could cut some sort of flexible, adhesive backed rubber cover and thread it onto the throttle rod and stick it to the valve cover, but I see no reason for concern. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 01:28 pm:

Length wise it can go in two directions, holes up or down. It is like a head gasket it has a front and back but will fit ether way, may not work, but it fits. As it is, the dam in the passageway between cylinders is lower then the hole in the cover, do you have oil coming out there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 08:57 pm:

Mark, the gasket has a front and back end, which are different. The front corners are rounded. It can be flipped along the horizontal axis, thus raising or lowering the throttle rod hole. This makes no difference on our RHD cars.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration