No Wonder it Didnít Run Right

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: No Wonder it Didnít Run Right
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:28 pm:

I was out and about in my neighbourhood last night, just getting a feel for my T before I get more adventurous when suddenly it started running terribly. It lost power and would just buck and shake in high speed so I limped home three blocks in low. I tossed and turned all night thinking about broken cranks, disintegrated can gears, the cost of coil testers and so on. So today I start diagnosing it to find an extremely intermittent spark on #2, do the usual coil swap, plug swap, etc. to find the problem stays with #2. I check the prongs in the coil box and theyíre fine so I start thinking about the timer. The #2 coil gets the red wire and maybe if Iím lucky thatís at the bottom of the timer and thereís just some junk inside it.

I take a look to see if it is in fact the bottom segment of the timer and yep, thereís my problem:

Any suggestions for preventing this in the future? A tiny lock washer? Double nuts? Loctite?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

A lockwasher couldn't hurt, especially one of the "star" washers with teeth that will ensure a good electrical connection. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

What's on the other terminals of the timer and why didn't they get loose. I use flat washers on mine and they seem to work. It may not have been tight enough to begin with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

The other terminals have knurled nuts, which I think are correct for the Tiger Timer. I suspect the awkward positioning of the red wire leads to it Ďwrenchingí on the nut with changes in timing. Iíll have to see what the local Home Depot has in the way of tiny nuts that I can put on there, Iím thinking maybe a little brass one with just a bit of squish in a vise so the hole is ever so slightly ovalled and tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

I hope you can find a nut. Do they have measurements in thousandth of an inch? or are they all metric? You might want to take the timer with you and try the nuts which you find.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

Ford used 10-32 nuts on these, so you just get 10-32 lock washers and nuts at about any hardware store. On the road, you can remove 2 nuts from any one of the coil terminals, put one back on to hold the wire and porcelain in place, and use the extra nut on the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

I'm with Mark. Star washer. Simple, cheap, easy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

Star washer installed, car is back to running decently well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration