Interesting 1909 for Sale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Interesting 1909 for Sale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ryan Fenrich - Alberta, Canada on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:29 pm:

https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/HF18/Hershey/lots/r0009-1909-ford-model-t-cou pe-de-ville/692965

A custom bodied 1909 T. Does anyone know more history on this car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 02:42 pm:

i didnt see any 09 parts any where on it??????????????????????????????? charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 03:08 pm:

I do not see any original 1909-10 parts. Any that resemble such parts are reproductions. The steering column is a later one with a replaced sector at top. The chassis is a later one. There is a starter button so it has a starter engine. The front and rear ends are later ones. The whole car is a made up from later or reproduction parts. It can not called any one. Best called a "Look-a like" made up of new and older parts"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 03:53 pm:

Darel is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 04:21 pm:

That "pile" has been discussed at length before. There is NO excuse for a legitimate dealer or auction house to try to pass it off as a "real" '09. If I recall correctly, according to past discussions, the body MIGHT be from about 1909??? The rest of the car? Clearly NOT.

When they put an auction estimate of "$40,000 - $60,000"? They are trying to promote a value based upon a lie. Realistically, if it were a "real" '09 towncar, it would be worth more than that. But just because somebody spent too much money "restoring" a fake, does not make it worth nearly that much.

I do think it would be a great car to have and enjoy. It does look wonderful, and would be fun on tours. But I can buy better cars than that for half that much money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 04:30 pm:

It is an interesting fantasy vehicle, lots of care taken in creating the body. But. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

Looks like a single lever 09, at best, even if the rest is correct (and others have pointed out that it isn't).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

If the body is original coach work, perhaps it was crafted in 1909 ? Some have said it's a pastiche - reworked from an old hansom cab - if there's any documentation for the body to support a 1909 build date, that could be the rationale for calling it an '09. That water-slide on the front passenger side should appeal to small children !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

Disc brakes in 1909? Cool....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

Re-hash of the re-hash - better information about the car here:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/836812.html?1518563489

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

Wayne,
I certainly agree. In fact, I think this is completely unethical. Auction houses of fine art are often sued for passing off forgeries as the real deal. If I was duped into spending megabucks on an antique that is a fantasy piece, I would probably by looking for a lawyer. Most of us are smart enough to stay away from things like that but a sucker is born ever minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

its just junk. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 11:59 pm:

I recently inspected the car quite closely. I could find nothing on the mechanical or chassis that was anything like my 1909 Touring. The body is in such great condition that it is not 109 years old but could have been rebuilt (by H Austin?) based on something he found or from a picture.
While I am not a licensed appraiser, I believe a well restored 1909 Touring is valued between $50-60k, so I believe this valuation is excessive.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration