Random restarts, no coil buzz sometimes.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Random restarts, no coil buzz sometimes.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 08:54 pm:

Got a quick question about my 1927.

The other day, I was pulling out of a parking lot. I heard some popping. I assumed it would go away. Turned out, put it in high, suddenly a bunch pfoud pops, and a big explosion (end of muffler shooting off), and the car died. Then restarted and backfired. Died. Started and backfired, etc. Managed to get it going again, and made it home without issue.

Today, I turned the key to battery and turned over the starter. No start. No coil buzz. I wiggled the key a little bit, and coil buzz, and it started. Was making the turn onto my street, and heard a bunch of popping again. The T started surging, popped, and I made it home.

I also noticed when I turned on the headlights, the engine went silent for a split second like it died, but was fine after that.

This is sounding like an ignition switch issue to me, but would like to see if anyone else has a different opinion? Running on bat. All of these issues have got to be related. Loose switch contacts? All new wiring, rebuilt coils, rebuilt switch, tight connections... Clean connections... Etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

Could be your switch. Do you know if you have a pin type switch or one that have the tabs on the back. Sometimes the cardboard backing swells causing the tabs holding the backing tight to loosen thus the contacts are not fully engaged. This can be repaired. The pin type can also have this problem. In this case the swelling loosens the pins and that will also hurt the contacts from fully engaging. This is an easier fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:10 pm:

It's a tab one.

I've contacted the rebuilder and they have confirmed that you should not have to jiggle the key to engage the battery.

The surging issue I've talked to someone else, they said dirty timer (I happened to oil it this morning) and it's unrelated to the switch most likely. I'll be cleaning it out and be on the lookout for a new day or Anderson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:15 pm:

The surging is very likely associated with the switch also. Intermittent contacting is what's causing the backfiring & could cause the surging too. Do your maintenance by all means just dn't be surprised if the timer looks OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:50 pm:

Thanks Charlie. I originally thought it was the switch as well, but was suggested that it could be the timer. We will see what happens when I get the new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

Gotta Fiber Timing Gear?

Those symptoms sound real familiar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

A dirty timer would not cause the light problem. Id go for the switch, but first make sure ALL the electrical connections are tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Saturday, July 21, 2018 - 11:53 pm:

How is the mixture setting? How are the cables from the battery to starter button and starter button to starter motor? I had an old cable and one with a slight cut in it. As soon as I replaced both cables, a lot of my problems went away. How about cleaning the contacts behind the ammeter. Also check that the battery cables are tight on the battery posts. I don't know if this will fix your problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 06:17 am:

All new wiring and tight connections. I'm pretty sure it's a steel timing gear.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration