Guidance needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Guidance needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Howell on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

Good afternoon, everyone.

I am considering becoming a member of the Model T Owners fraternity and am looking for guidance.

I am looking into a purchase of a 1926 Model T Runabout. It appears to have a partial restoration, with new interior, roof lining, painted engine and new transmission bands.

It also has some concerns. There appear to be body cracks behind the passenger side door. There is a second set near these, but picture size is too big to post. Can these be repaired? Or should they be repaired?

There is a shifter in the cab to what I believe is a Warford gear box. Is this a plus or minus?

On the passenger side of the dash, there is a cover of some sort. What normally goes here?

What is the purpose of the button through the floor boards on the drivers side.

Paint is cream/yellow, with plenty of nicks and dings. I believe it has been converted to 12 Volts.

Asking price is $10,000. IS this a good/fair/poor deal?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 03:36 pm:

Button on the floor boards is normally a starter button. A warford gearbox is fine if you live in hilly areas, or want to go faster (providing it's an overdrive gearbox, i believe most warfords were).
Not sure what cover on the dash you might be alluding to but there may have been a dash light there.
As for the cracks, I can't tell anything about them without pictures.
Is $10,000 a fair deal? In my country it would probably be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Ask the owner about the engine and its history. Was it ever overhauled or rebuilt or? How about the radiator. Does the engine get hot and the radiator boil ? It sounds like a T that was cleaned up and made to look a little better. The cracks could be bondo that was used to repair some dents or cover up some rust out.
To me it sounds like a cosmetic restoration which can be good but the most important would be what kind of mechanical repairs or restoration was done. A car that looks decent can fool you without knowing the mechanical condition.
Hope this helps you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 04:14 pm:

The turtle back (trunk) is separate from the body and is bolted on. There should be a "crack" from the back of the seat and down around to the rear of the platform and all the way around to the other side.
If the body is vert good and the upholstery and top good, the engine and mechanical condition are good the car would be somewhere around $10,000. A warford would add another $1000 to the value. Of course, the price you pay would be whatever you and the seller can agree upon. I would suggest that you try to find someone in your area familiar with Model T's to go along with you to look at the car before you buy.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

William (Bill? Will?),

What Norm has suggested is a good idea. If there is an MTFCA chapter nearby, ask someone to take a look at the car with you.

If you have pictures but they are too large to post on the forum, you can email them to someone who can resize them. I'm going to my daughter's for dinner in a little bit, but I can do it when I get back. My email address is dlodge-at-nedcons-dot-com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

If you are a bigger guy the 26-7 is a little tight up front, I always have a problem getting in from drivers side, legs are to long and do not bend like they use to. So climb in and out a couple times to see how you fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 04:43 pm:

On the other side of the country, but this showed up on eBad. Condition and price comparison? This has a "Buy it now" price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1927-Ford-Model-T-Roadster/323357749115?hash=item4b499f af7b:g:kIMAAOSwYUlbUPva&vxp=mtr

Should be able to find something similar a couple thousand miles closer. Remember. "Asking" prices do NOT mean real value. Most people want more than their car is worth. Most asking prices are too high. Real cars are worth what real people are willing and able to pay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

I should add. There is a separate panel under the door between the upright under the windshield post and the back of the door. This piece is approximately the length of the door and about 4 inches high. There would be a "crack" at each end where it is attached to the body.

If you have a way to change the resolution of your pictures, you can post 72 resolution. I like to make a copy and then change in Adobe Photoshop. By changing the copy, you will not alter the original picture.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 05:07 pm:

Yes, the Warford is a plus. I wouldn't be surprised if there are also some auxiliary brakes in back. If the mechanical stuff is all in tip-top shape, ten grand is reasonable. But if the rear axle hasn't been rebuilt in half a century, or the engine and transmission have many thousands of miles on their guts, it's way too much.

Google free photo resize. You'll be presented with several free websites that will give you copies under the 250 KB limit. Get as close to 250 as you can without going over. Some folks shrink their pictures down to where you can barely see what's in them.

Reduced to 250 KB.

Reduced to 99 KB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

BUT ... if itís an original Warford, it could cause an expensive wreck. They require a time consuming learning-to-shift technique. Theyíre very easy to get into neutral and impossible to get into one of the gears while driving and youíll not have any service (transmission) brakes. So, without this developed technique, all you can do is aim your T toward something inexpensive. That said; I have 2 original cast iron Warfords in Model T s without accessory brakes because Iíve long-term developed that technique and 1 T with the KC Warford. Of course I like the latter the best.
But you said the Ď25 roadster is painted a creme color?? To me that would be cause to deduct $2000..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

That shifter could be for a Warford but it may be for a Ruxstell rear axle. :-)
Cool plus either way. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

There is a frequent member on this forum who lives in Rochester and works at the Kodak Museum. I cannot think of his name for the moment, but you should contact him and ask him to look over the car. He drives his T to work every day.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration