Flywheel question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Flywheel question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By MELVIN G,KING on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

I just got a nice used ring gear,but it spins real free on the flywheel,how can I fix this or should I worry about it? Also how deep should the mag coil bolts go in? Mine only go in about 1/4 inch if that.Thanks for all the help! MEL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

I'm not familiar with ring gear to flywheel fit, but I think it should be pretty tight. Also the screws that hold the plates for the magnets should go all the way through so they can be peened to prevent coming loose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

Melvin.
I have drilled, taped and fitted set screws x4 to stop the slip on ring to fly wheel several times, I don't trust the brass screws to be strong enough when the gear is not a tight fit.
As for the mag coil bolts, I'm assuming you mean the 4 that hold on the coil ring, a bit longer would be better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Those bolts will only hold the magnets in place. The gear should be press fit so that the starter will turn the whole engine not just the gear. In fact it should be tight enough to hold it if you should accidentally hit the starter while it is in high gear and it won't turn on the flywheel. You need to be careful to align the gear so that the screws come in the correct place in relation to the magnets.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 08:02 pm:

Note, you can heat up the ring gear and it will slip right on the flywheel, but when it contracts it should be tight.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 08:30 pm:

Norman,
That is all Ok if you are getting ring gears that are made correct, many are a loose fit and when I say loose I mean a light tap will turn then, not a fall on/off fit, when with such an issue, to send it back from the other side of the world is a problem in cost and if the replacement is any better? set screws and loctite for piece of mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

The new, reproduction ring gears are not a "press fit" but an "interference" fit - you need to be able to tap it around the flywheel to get all 16 brass screws started !

The field coil bolts are a 3/8-24 x 1" approx. and care needs to be taken when bolting up the field coil's two outward most bolts as the block casting is quite thin where what should be "blind" holes are tapped into.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

True Steve, the originals were not a press fit either but a tight hammer fit.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration