Old Photo - Street Scene, Rice Lake, Wis.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - Street Scene, Rice Lake, Wis.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 12:30 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 01:20 am:

Wow.........a LOT of people on that street. Wonder if that was normal or was there some sort of event/celebration going on?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 02:45 am:

A run on the bank? I see several cars indicating '29 to '30 ish. Several model A Fords in there. The crowds seem to be going both ways into the State Bank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:06 am:

Wayne might be right. Rice Lake is a resort town in northern WI lake country, but it doesn't look like a celebration of any sort.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:33 am:

I think you NAILED it Wayne.....Great insight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 05:01 pm:

There was a bank hold up in 1930 At the Silver State Bank. So maybe this is the town reacting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 05:41 pm:

Maybe Minnesota Fats is hustling at the pool hall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

Anyone have a shot of that intersection today? Would be nice to see what it looks like now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

No one appears to be dressed for a celebration - lots of work clothes/work jackets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:21 pm:

Lots of criminal activity about that time period and many Chicago folks vacationed in the area. Some of the farms had hid-a-way places too. Wayne may be right too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 12:51 pm:

The big bore 'new' Henry rifles are made in Rice Lake now. I haven't used one, but I know my son's .22 made in Bayonne, NJ is a work of metal art. I imagine the WI ones should be the same.

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

Jason,not to long ago i got a Very Nice Henry Brass engraved Buffalo tribute in 45/70.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Thursday, August 09, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 01:31 am:

Henry rifles made in Wisconsin? Very nice. On my "to do" list.
Ever shot that 45-70 Bud? I 'spect not as it's far too gorgeous. I mean that in the right way. :-)
I shot a stainless 45-70 pistol made in Minneapolis. My buddy sold it before I even had a chance... Ugh.
Baallaam! Not at all like the buddy's 9 mil. Whack!
What a great picture Jay! Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 08:06 am:

Duey,Yes a couple of times.I have always wanted a 45/70 as i had my grandfathers model 1876 45/60 winchester.The winchester has been given to my oldest grandson and he reloads for it.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 02:27 pm:

Jay - Great historic photo of Rice Lake, Wisconsin!

Kinda' "OT" comment here, but since "Henry Rifles" was brought up......

I retired in 2002 from the Union Pacific RR Police Dept. in 2002 as a Seattle Sr. Special Agent, and accordingly, when the "Railroad Edition" of the "Tribute" series .22 cal Henry Rifles came out, my wife insisted that I had to have one! It was certainly what I consider to be a rather extravagant and probably unnecessary expenditure, however, that rifle is a real "jewel" and a piece that I am proud to own as what will surely become a family heirloom!
....and to keep this post somewhat "Model T", I should add that it is also due to my wife's "insistence" that I own more than one Model T Ford! (....she loves the ol' "flivvers" as much as I do). One of the single guys in our local "T" club wanted to know if she has a sister!!! (:^) .....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Juhl on Friday, August 10, 2018 - 03:21 pm:

Observation - did you ever notice that in many old photos of street scenes the cars are all angle parked? It was that way in the town I grew up in and in the little towns around me now. In modern times, all those places have parallel parking. I wonder if it was a holdover from the horse and buggy days? There was no such thing as parallel parking a buggy....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration