What good are old titles?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What good are old titles?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 08:29 am:

I see old titles for sale sometimes on eBay. What good are those titles besides something to collect? I bought a 1947 International truck in 1995 and it came with a Kansas title, last date on it was from the 60's, and it seems if I remember it was just a worthless piece of paper in Texas without being signed for transfer by the person named on it. If you pay $100 for a title for a 1921 Model T, last transferred in 1931, is that good enough to go get a new title in your name for a car that may or may not still exist so you can get a license plate? Maybe in some states?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 08:57 am:

How would you get the "VIN"(motor number) to match? I wouldn't pay a dime for an old title JMHO It might be considered to be an open title... in some states the mere possession of an open title is a crime, be careful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 09:13 am:

They are valued & priced accordingly to register a vehicle without a VIN to put back on the road.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 09:50 am:

Simply put its a fake title if it's bought to use for a car that doesn't have one.
It may be OK for some people but it is a way to skirt the law.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:05 am:

Isn't that what so many "1923 Model T" hot rods do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:15 am:

I know of a guy who built a '23 T-bucket (don't panic - it has a repro fiberglass body) He bought an out-of-state title (he lives in Massachusetts). The only thing on the car that is an original '23 T part is the steering wheel. You guessed it - It's legally titled and registered as a '23 T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:07 am:

Legally, as John just demonstrated above, this is why many states give real antique cars guys a hard time, the hot rod crowd are calling their restomods "antique cars" and using 1920's registration. The then can falsify the amount paid and can save bucks.

Makes the states distrust all old car guys. I understand why they do it but many of these custom builds don't have much more then a body or maybe only headlights from the age of the car they represent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:20 am:

You have to be less than truthful to be able to use an old title. First you have to change the vin number on your block, then you have to forge the previous owner's name and lie about the date and circumstances of the purchase. I have never done that of course but I would bet that many have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 11:10 am:

Any way that can be used to put more classic cars back on the road is a good thing in my eyes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 11:45 am:

I acquired two engines from odd ball places (basement of a foundry for example). The first thing I did when I acquired them was perform title search's. Once it came back there were none, I followed my states guide lines for acquiring a title. Now I have titles that match the numbers of the engines in my name. I feel better about having them, however I do not know if it has increased any value in anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 12:28 pm:

What's illegal and what's immoral are two different things. Georgia doesn't even title cars older than some cut off date. But try to sell a Georgia car to some of you who live in other states and you get made to feel like you're trying to screw someone over selling an untitled car. Where's the victim in using an old title to put a car back on the road that was built from parts? Otherwise, the car would likely have to have a 2018 model year and be subject to 2018 safety and emissions regs.

My son had a 90's model Harley in his shop that burned. The bike was damaged, but could be easily brought back to life. It was just gonna cost more than it was worth to have it professionally repaired. He could do the work himself and have his bike back, but the insurance gave him a parts only salvage title. It can never be registered again. The title goes to the frame. The frame wasn't damaged other than a little blistered paint. Make sense of THAT one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin, Kannapolis, NC on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

There was a time in most states that if you had a title, you could go down to your DMV and leave with your license plates, and a new title in your name would be in the mail shortly. Several years ago NC along with other states cracked down on this way of titling old cars. Now if you have an out of state title, it better be signed over to you and notarized. Even then you have to get the car inspected by the license & theft bureau of the DMV before you get a new title. This is what keeps people from using on old title on a newly built fiberglass hot rod. Those require a whole bunch of hoops to go through, and you had better have receipts for all the major parts of that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

In some states they're treated like a collectors item to go with people collections of gas pumps ect. They're useful if you have the old car they're for & don't want to register your used car as a "2018 scratchbuilt" even if it's perfectly original.
Took me 18 months to register my T because 99% of the people working at (all government departments) the vehicle register place don't really know anything about their job and wanted me to add rollbars, window washers, wipers, seatbelts, disk brakes, a more powerful engine & transmission ect in order to meet 2016 regulations. So I'd basically have to replace the whole car. No thanks.
All I wanted to do was register an old car that I'd legally bought.
Having a title to start with would made it easier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Iowa John L Williams on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

Hi From Iowa! Iowa has become neg ole car help & I agree with Derek - If It Helps Us to get Our car titled "Go For It"! Don't make a big deal out of it that will hurt the rest of us!! Thanks John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

The only experience I've had with an "old" title was with a 1934 Ford one ton truck. I purchased the vehicle right out of a hay barn here in California, and the rancher provided a 1953 Oregon title...that's when and where he bought it. Since the truck never left the ranch he never bothered to license it. I took the title, the old plates and a typewritten explanation to our DMV and got new title, BUT I also had to pay some heavy fees for all the years in California without licensing!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration