Old Photographs- "T" based RFC airfield support vehicles

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photographs- "T" based RFC airfield support vehicles
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 09:54 am:

The Royal Flying Corps was the training wing of the British Royal Flying Corps, based in Canada.

The BRFC was the forerunner of the Royal Air Force (RAF).

"Fire engine house and equipment, Camp Leaside, Ont. 1918."

"Huck starting vehicle of the Canadian Air Board, 27 May, 1922."

And if the pilot had to employ the services of the starting vehicle AND the fire/rescue crew AND he was lucky enough to survive, he would then have to endure the most harrowing part of his day, being strapped to the fuselage of another aeroplane for a trip to the field hospital!

"RFC Canada Curtiss JN-4 used as an aerial ambulance. Camp Leaside, Ont. 1918."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 09:59 am:

There's snow on the ground in the last shot - will he survive the flight to hospital?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:04 am:

Looks like there is a canopy over the "victim". Dogfight Dixon will live to fly again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:16 am:

heres another shot of the ambulance.

I wonder how many times the locals, seeing this plane flying low, mistook that red cross for a Maltese one?

Also, I'm afraid I misspoke when I said the injured pilot would be "strapped" in for transport- there's no straps. They didn't need no steenkin' straps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

The top photo appears to be a American La France ALF style chemical car. From Eric Bruckner's post at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/425324.html?1392811063 we see a very similar vehicle:

And another one (sorry I lost who posted that one).

I wonder if ALF had a company across the border or if they sold the body for use on the Canadian Fords?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration