Old Poto - Young People Posing With Fords In The Backround

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Poto - Young People Posing With Fords In The Backround
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:10 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Something I've always wondered about regarding old photos.........

Was it illegal to smile in those days?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman, Rochester, NY on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Lots of smiling snap shots by the time this was taken by an amateur photographer. But in studio work there were two issues. First was the formal nature of portraiture. How many people do you see smiling in a portrait painting .. even now? So there is that .. a style related reason.

As far as stiffness of pose and smiling .. as you go back in time to the first camera portraits the sensitivity of films and plates (iron or copper) get progressively slower. Even in the teens the well equipped studio had cast iron “head stands” to help the subject to hold still. Typical skylight studio exposure times in the 1870s were around 15-25 seconds.

The snap shot here was a out 1/30 of a second in the sun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 01:52 pm:

Question. I have a lot of negatives from the early 1900s many with old cars in them that I don't have prints for what is the best / cheapest way to scan / convert them to black & white for viewing,texting and printing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Annaian - Moultonborough NH on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 01:59 pm:

Jim, if you have the time and some spare cash, you can buy a scanner that will do negatives, such as the Epson flatbed scanners. It wont give you perfect scans, but pretty good considering the quality of these old negatives arent usually the greatest. i forget the actual name of the scanner, but I think any of the V series would work, V500, 600, etc.

You could also use a scanning service, however it may be more costly. But you wouldnt have to do anything besides send them out.

If you ever want real photographs, as in ones done on an enlarger like they would have been, theres a couple places that can do that, but its very expensive. Looks neat though. Ive got one and have done some prints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:16 pm:

Remember many photos were special occasions and it would not be proper to grin like a Cheshire cat. Unlike today with our digital cameras, a roll of film was something like 8 shots so most people did not shoot willy-nilly and waste shots. Later when 36mm came into common usage there were a lot more shots on the roll that added a little more freedom what you shot along with cost factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 06:31 am:

I'm trying to understand what's going on with the T behind the tree.

Is it the fender that's hanging down so far, or is that the oil pan?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 07:21 am:

Shadow of the left rear wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 07:33 am:

Don, I think you are seeing the left rear wheel. A trick of shadows looks like right fender is hanging down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:33 am:

Ah yes....I see it now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration