1909 Photos - by special request

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1909 Photos - by special request
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:12 am:

John Warren asked for more photos of my car - will this do?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:34 am:

It's a start, Jem, and thank you ! I'd like to see all angles, side, rear, under the hood and all over details, but taking pictures and posting them is time-consuming. Grateful for this one, looks like a fine example in a charming setting ! Thank you !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:42 am:

Just teasing ;^)

To save resizing everything, they're all on this link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VaYhSpZWtMNKV68u6

I bought the car at Hershey 1979

The vendor told me his sister had taken it in a divorce settlement and he was selling for her. Certainly it came with an Indiana title in a lady's name and a 1962 Indiana tag, and looked like 1962 was the last time it had been used. The brass was almost crusted with neglect. I suspect it may have come from an estate sale.

I have a Indiana license document from 1954 and it looks like it was a barn find in the 50s, refurbished to the standards of the time, so there are some later parts on the car. The (almost illegible) microfiche shipping doc from Benson Ford shows it shipped to Boston Aug 17 1909, with 'No Top'. So don't tell me the top irons are wrong, obviously the supplying dealer made a bit more profit by selling an accessory top.

I had to repaint the wheels, horrible colour and paint falling off, but otherwise it is much 'as found'. We potter about locally and have in the past done a handful of tours. I joined the 2 piece crank club some years ago and the block had extensive metal-stitching. I have tried many different products on the leather but it has dried out beyond hope - we don't use the front seat cushion shown when driving it out and have vinyl ocvers to protect the remains of the leather.

No under hood photos in the link, the original motor is in the shop. I'll leave you to pick over and tell me what's wrong with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:48 am:

Couple of other comments: the chrome gizmo on the steering is a Philips Irreversible Steering Gear and, yes it works. The coil box has a horrible conversion to take later coils - I have another box but need to get a full set of early coils.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Thank you much !! That is a pleasure to see. I did wonder about the gizmo on the steering, thanks for the explanation. Just wonderful !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 11:00 am:

Thanks Jem, for posting those photos and for taking the time to post how you came to acquire the car. One question: wouldn't an August '09 car be called a very early '10?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 11:29 am:

There you go R.V. raining on my parade, I've only got a 1910 ;^(
Yes, you are probably right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 12:53 pm:

Hello Jim:
My good friend Jim in Oblong Illinois owns #6269, also stamped on August 17th 1909. His has the same Beaudette aluminum body, and also has the same early style patent plate under the seat. Jim's has a 6 rivet rear end with the longer driveshaft housing, where he has reason to believe this rear end configuration is original to the car. Many thanks for posting the rear end work....am looking forward to seeing your progress.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

I thought Ford used a September 1 to August 31 model year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Well gee Jem; now I feel badly. I apologize. I will take it off your hands so you feel better. It's the least I can do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

Thomas, in late June 1909 Ford called all subsequent 1909 cars “1910”. My 1909 was dated Oct 4,1909 but according to the Encyclopedia it was a 1910 Model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Jem

Seems to me your Aug.17, 1909 shipping date T is a real '1909' model year Ford.

Just going by published data, Ford Service Bulletin, Nov. 1923 lists Model T engine numbers by year.

The first line, for Year 1909

Oct. 1, 1908 to Sept. 30, 1909, numbers 1 to 11,100

Bruce McCalley, big book, page 502. "Note: Other records show 1909 fiscal year production (Oct 1 1908 to Sept 30, 1909)

Same book, page 13, Fiscal Year Oct 1, 1908 to Oct 1, 1909. While the new Tourabout in July 1909 was called "1910" as that was indeed a new body style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Not wishing to start a new debate or upset anyone but as far as I am concerned if a vehicle was assembled and went
“Out the factory door” between Jan 1 and December 31 of any year that is the year it should be dated at. I think the concept of calling a late 09 a 1910 Model may have been a sales gimmick to be driving a 1910 Model car in 1909?
I once purchased a “1963” lawn mower in September 1962!
Just my opinion. Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:38 am:

Very cool Jem.

The guy on the right may have helped build your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:39 am:

I believe I read, some time ago, that auto manufacturers introduced "new" models to correspond to agricultural harvest time (at least in the U.S.).

If a farm is to be profitable, and the farmer feeling "flush", harvest time is when it would be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:55 am:

Thank you for sharing those wonderful photos.
They are amazing and show great detail.
Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration