Tie Rod Ends

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tie Rod Ends
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

I was adjusting my toe-in and noticed there is a lot of up and down movement on the tie rod ends even when the spindle bolts are tightened securely. Should there be thrust washers of some kind to fill this gap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

I saw the same thing, so I added a thin washer on each side of mine. No adverse effects in five years of operation.

Just be sure that the washer is thin enough to allow free movement, you don't want things to get bound up. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Thanks, Mark.

I thought it needed something.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

Also keep the washer OD small so that it doesn't stick way out and look obvious. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 06:53 pm:

Mike, I make new tie rod end bushes from old kingpin bushes. The head of the kingpin bush can be machined down in diameter and thickness. The thickness is machined to suit the gap. The bush is installed with the head to the bottom so the weight of the tie rod is taken on this thrust face.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo - Linton, IN on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

Thanks Allan,

Sounds like a good idea.

Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration