Old Photo-Sitting around the gas station, for Charley

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Sitting around the gas station, for Charley
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:08 pm:

Have you got that pump?

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

you bet, its a bowser.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

What about that clown thumbing his nose at the photographer ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 08:43 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:52 am:

Charley, is Bowser a trade name for a particular brand of pump? Petrol {gas} pumps in Australia are generically called bowsers, regardless of the manufacturer. Just as we call all cool boxes Eskys, a trade name derived from Eskimo. Your American equivalent might be crescent wrench, although there were many makers of Crescent type adjustable wrenches. By the way, we call them shifters! I have a 60 strong collection of different brands of 4" shifters, and some to trade if anyone else is similarly afflicted.

Allan from down under.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By wayne tomlins on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 01:16 am:

A little different here [ in NZ] Allan.
When I was a kid, every Service Station was a 'Petrol Bowser' but the term would not be known now. We call a 'cool box'' a chilly bin! A Crescent Wrench I always knew as 'a Crescent' & I have never heard of 'shifter' even when I lived in Australia. Cheers; Wayne in NZ.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:15 am:

it is a co. name - the s.f. bowser & co. ft.wayne,indiana.from 1900 to 1960. i have close to 100 pumps i started in 1984, never sold one unless i had two.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

When I was in high school auto mechanics class,it started out with basic hand tools,any Crescent type wrench had to be called an adjustable end wrench on a quiz to get the answer right. Any type of Channell lock type pliers had to be called parrot nose pliers. Figure that one out.

Charley,Hang onto all that stuff so the hoarders can't get their hands on any of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:21 pm:

Steve, at least parrot nosed pliers look a bit like a parrot beak. Contrast that with box end wrench. How many boxes have you seen with 12 corners, or even 6?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 11:41 pm:

Steve G,

Those tools you call "adjustable end wrench" and "parrot nose pliers" ? And those things some folks call "Vise Grips" ?

I call all of them, "Metric".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

The guy on the left end doesn't look Korean, but I used to see folks sitting like that in Korea all the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 01:09 am:

You served there? Thank you.
Wouldn't it be great to get our legs to do what those two fellas are doing?
Not an "engineers cap" amongst them...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 07:46 am:

I have a young co-worker who will sit like that. Must be nice to be that limber......and thin.

But it sure tasted good getting like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 09:34 am:

Duey, I had a nice vacation there in 1965-1966 while the real soldiers were dodging bullets in Vietnam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Whoa. Thanks Steve and consider yourself lucky. I like those wire frames! With "wrap around the ear" wire bows? I'd like to try a wire set as the plastic bows hurt my noggin bad.
Here's another notion about the squatting fella, over in the UAE, the Petronis Towers (that they moved!) sport true public toilets for that part of the world.
You squat around a large "ring" to do your business and the water washes it away. Hah! Prob'ly better than sitting on a Thomas Crapper. That can cause us trouble if we sit too long.
Sorry about the OT Herb. Neat pic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

Duey, I was wearing regular GI glasses (plastic frames), and in the summer humidity and sweat they kept falling off. So I took the bus into Seoul, went to an optician, and paid the Korean equivalent of $5 for these glasses that will stay on. It's what I've been using ever since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:43 am:

That's too darned interesting on so many levels Mr J. :-)
The dopes at the places I've visited look like deer in the headlights when I ask about wire bows.
Thanks much.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:49 am:

The last time I got new glasses they were hard to find. You may have to go online and buy some vintage specs and have new lenses installed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration