Need help inspecting/re-greasing rear wheel bearings.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need help inspecting/re-greasing rear wheel bearings.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 10:44 pm:

I have a rear wheel off my '24 Touring and want to look at my bearing in the wheel itself. I've never done this before so can anyone point me in a direction or explain how to do this?

I am familiar with the rear axle stuff just not the bearing inside the wooden wheel itself.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, July 23, 2018 - 11:26 pm:

I dont believe there is any bearings in the rear wheel Jim. It the hub slides on the axle shaft. The bearings in the rear are in the axle housing. Now the front wheel hubs will have bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:13 am:

Remove the end cap and pull out the bearing with a hook made from a piece of wire coat hanger or welding rod.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:36 am:

Steve, once I get the bearing pulled out, are there any guidelines to regreasing? And then itís a tap back in place with a mallet of some sort?

Thanks,
Jkm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:55 am:

Just slather grease all over it and between the rollers and shove it back in. You shouldn't need to hit it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 01:21 am:

Isn't that bearing greased with the grease cup found on the back of the axle housing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 07:10 am:

James,

As Hal stated, the bearing is normally greased using the grease cup as part of regular maintenance. If you want, you can tap the inside of the cup with a pipe tap and screw in a zerk fitting so that you can use a modern grease gun. Screw the cap back on the fitting when done so that it hides the zerk fitting. The parts suppliers sell a grease cup that has been modified with a zerk fitting.

It doesn't hurt to pull it out as suggested and slather it. You can inspect the bearing at the same time. The rivets should be tight and the rollers 0.500 to 0.502 diameter. There should be no perceptible play up and down in the shaft. If grease is leaking out install a new felt seal or modern seal. If you use a modern seal glue it on with Loctite. If the rivets are loose you can tighten them using a ball peen hammer.

The cup that holds the felt seal if a press fit and a little hard to get off. If it is loose, get a new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 07:18 am:

Also, look at the sleeve that the bearing rides in. There should be no visible wear. You can replace it but you will have to buy a sleeve puller. Look for instructions on how to replace the sleeve elsewhere on the forum. If you replace the sleeve, install a modern seal on the inside, the kind that is cone shaped. The rear end on a 24 should accommodate the modern seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 07:23 am:

There is a good video on how to work on the rear end on YouTube. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 04:54 pm:

Okay, so it sounds like the roller bearing (Hyatt, I think) is the only bearing to lube inside the rear axle housings. I don't know why but I though the wheel had a roller bearing inside of it as well.

Thanks fellers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Syverson on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 05:29 pm:

It will be important to take a good look at the sleeve, like Neil suggested. Especially on the top side where the roller bearing runs. There's a good chance you'll want to change them (both outer sleeves). I had initially replaced mine with some reproductions that did not wear well, and found they were heavily worn after not that many miles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration