What wheel ??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What wheel ??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:20 am:

Is this a Kelsey Hayes wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:34 am:

There is no such thing as a Kelsey Hayes Model T wheel. The two companies did not merge until the end of Model T production. Model T wheels were made by Prudden, Hayes, Firestone, Kelsey, and Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:49 am:

The Question is, who made this wheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:54 am:

LOL, Bob you made my day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:01 am:

I think, more to the point/question, who made that cleat?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:02 am:

Kelsey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:25 am:

Kelsey:

pic1

pic2

pic3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:27 am:

A "google" search reveals that Kelsey Hayes is an "Ottowa based singer / song-writer . . ." Maybe gonna be a "big wheel" on the music scene ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:54 am:

I have two sets of lugs, bolts and nuts that came off T rims, but they are the ones with the cone shaped nuts. Someplace I have the number that I found in an old supply catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 11:43 am:

Kelsey and Hayes had not yet merged in the Model T era - they were separate companies. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

I understand that Pruden became Motor Rim and Wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

Thanks Mark, for the photo, I must have the Walmart version-cheaper. The rims on this car do not have the lug mounted on the rim. Anyway I need a rim for a spare and had no idea what to ask for. I guess itís Kelsey rim with out lugs?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 12:56 pm:

That locating lug is important, it engages one of the rim bolts and keeps the rim from spinning relative to the felloe. If the rim spins relative to the felloe, it can tear the stem out of the tube.

Look at your rims carefully for the remains of that lug, they sometimes get torn off or otherwise come up missing.

I had a rim with a missing lug once, I fabricated a replacement out of some steel plate and MIG welded it into place. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 02:49 pm:

Thank you Mark, I didn't realize where the lug was, I saw it as being visible with the rim mounted, but of course this is not the case. Pulled the rim and there that fellow sits. Thanks again for your time and help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 02:56 pm:

Glad to hear it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:42 pm:

The photos Mark posted of the Kelsey 88 rim show the type with the rolled in bead which jams on the outside of the felloe. The slot to accept the shorter foot on the lug penetrates that bead and allows water into the rim/tyre assembly, causing rust problems. Kelsey also made 88's with the solid bead and flat base on the rim. These are a much better idea.

Allan from down under, where Canadian made Kelsey rims rule!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 08:41 am:

Bob, I just noticed, in your last photo, the tyre on the rim is branded, 'Coker Tire Co' and under that brand is the legend, 'Made in Australia'. To my knowledge Coker has never had a plant in Australia and has never had tires made here either.

Perhaps they purchased the 'Olympic' brand moulds from Australia and had tyres made with their brand in place of the 'Olympic' brand. I have seen these with 'Lucas' and a plain no brand on 'Olympic' tread tyres, but I have not seen 'Coker' branded Olympic treads.

If only whoever holds the moulds would make tyres like the 'Olympic' Australian made tyres, we would all be far better off.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:37 am:

As Allan said, the Kelsey rim with the rolled in bead (which has a slot much like a louver) can allow water to penetrate into the tire/rim assembly. (I seal those slots with silicone). Kelsey also made the rims with the solid bead and flat base on the rim. They also made lugs that fit to the rim and wheel that have the lug and nut made together. They are all interchangeable as Kelsey #88. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Vintage Rims in New Zealand make new Kelsey style rims. Their rolling process leaves the metal an even thickness across the width of the rim, as opposed to the 'spun' process, which can leave the metal rather thin where the 'curves' in the rim profile are.

I believe their rims are available in the US from the main vendors too.

Their rim rolling gear is custom designed and built not far from where I live. A very interesting process, and maybe worth an article for the 'News'

It is just great we can get 'brand new' rims today :-)

(I have an order in for 5 of them after visiting their factory - I will post my findings when I get them. And after I have them cad plated :-) )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 07:46 pm:

Adrian, does someone in New Zealand still do cad plating, or is that a generic term for silver looking plating over there? We used to be able to have bits cad plated but it was the yellow looking stuff. Now I have rims electro plated in zinc. It is the correct process for T rims but doesn't last as long as galvanizing.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 08:24 pm:

Hi Alan, yes we have a genuine Cadnium plater in ChCh.
Zinc would be the next best thing I believe, probably cheaper too.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration