Phone charging from a six volt system?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Phone charging from a six volt system?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Phone chargers that plug into a car's "lighter" outlet are made to take twelve volts. I'm guessing the best way to approach charging from a six volt system (as in Model T) would be to install an outlet fed by a 6 volt to 12 volt converter.

Here are a couple of available converters:

https://www.amazon.com/DIGITEN-Converter-Regulator-Waterproof-Module/dp/B019GY2D C8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1532453124&sr=8-4&keywords=6+volt+to+12+volt+converter

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-DROK-Voltage-Regulator-Transformer/dp/B01L90B3R I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1532453124&sr=8-5&keywords=6+volt+to+12+volt+converter

Am I on the right track here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 01:55 pm:

Peak voltage for a LiPo battery is under 5V so you may just be able to adapt a cigarette lighter plug to your 6V system and let the built-in voltage regulator of the plug in charger do the rest.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charlie haeckel on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 01:58 pm:

Your phone is 5 volts dc you can charge it off your 6 volt battery. If you have an adapter for your phone that plugs into a cigarette lighter that will work when plugged into 6 volts. respectfully charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 02:22 pm:

Look at your charger. The output is probably 5V, so your T output should be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 02:29 pm:

Yes the output is 5.0 volts. But the input is supposed to be 12 volts. Will 6 volts going into the same charger also put out 5 volts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 02:48 pm:

Steve, we installed a female power “cigarette “ plug on both of our Ts with 6volt systems. Both work very well to charge the phone or the gps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 03:23 pm:

Jerry, do you use a 12 volt charger?

I guess what I'm asking is whether 6 volts instead of 12-24 going into this will still put out 5 volts for charging. Or do I need to convert the 6 volt input to 12 for the charger to work properly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

Steve:

See this thread. I believe you can run a 12-24V cigarette adapter on 6V and it will step it down to the required 5V.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/376682.html?1377481713

I'm guessing that reason why the lower limit is listed as 12V is that no modern cars operate on a 6V system, not that 6V won't suffice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 04:58 pm:

Could be just Apple 6 as mine won't charge on the T's 6v. Have used several different brands of cigarette charger devices and none will allow the my iPhone 6 to charge.

The charger's indicators lights don't ever light up, but there is 6v at the outlet.

All these devices charge the my iPhone 6 just fine in cars with 12v :-(

Test to be sure outlet in T has juice, the 12v plug in alternator/battery tester red light means less than 11.6v, but there is 6v hot there!

iPhone adapter shows green indicator ready, in 12v car outlet.

But when placed in the T's 6v outlet, no indicator, can't charge the iPhone

So think the issue is the charger's for my phone only can take 12v input, even though the output is below 6v, guess the innards can't do the work with less than 12v :-(

Good news is my Garmin nuvi GPS works off the 6v T outlet.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 05:25 pm:

Sounds like it's hit and miss. I guess I could install the 6v outlet and see what happens with the 12 volt charger in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

As navigator for a friend on a tour I brought my GPS and a 12 volt motorcycle battery. I charged it at night in the hotel room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 06:43 pm:

I don't know anything about this but it's in the Model A section of Snyders catalog.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 06:54 pm:

Another easy way to charge a phone would be to just buy a portable charger like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Ultra-Compact-High-speed-Technology/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1532472374&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=portable+battery+charger&dpPl=1&dpID=31B5rBNP%2B8L&ref=plSrch

I have an adapter that is designed to attach to any 12, 14.4, or 18 volt Dewalt battery and charge any device via a USB connector.

I have recharged my phone almost 3 times off of one Dewalt 18 volt battery before it needed to be recharged.

You can get one off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/PoweriSite-USB-Charger-DeWalt-Batteries/dp/B00MBU8Z0Y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 07:24 pm:

I got a Digiten converter (the first one Steve listed) to run 12 volt LED stop lights on my 6 volt Model A and it works great.

There is a good chance it will work to charge a cell phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 07:50 pm:

Dan, it could be a current issue to your lighter socket. My 2007 VW will only charge my phone through certain plugs, other ones behave just like the one in your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Archer on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 07:55 pm:

I use a charger similar to the one Steve Jelf posted input 12- 24v output DC 5v 2.1 amp and have no problem charging iPhone 7 or GPS or GoPro with a 6v car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:03 pm:

I run a 8v Battery in my 24 coup. It will Charge my GPS and charge my iPhone with no problems. I think a strong 6 V battery should operate a cell phone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:26 pm:

My phone will run for 3 days before I have to recharge it, so I have never had the need for in car charging in a T. I guess it depends on how much you use the thing.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

I bought a 6 to 12 volt convertor that was just a board off eBay about 3 years ago. Put it in a case and soldered my leads to it.
Cost just a couple bucks, runs my Garmin just fine and will charge my phone.
I can’t find them on eBay now but search eBay for 6-24V 12V/24V to 5V 3A CAR USB Charger Module DC Buck step down Converter DIY. They sell one now that has a USB connector built on the board.
Takes some soldering but nothing exotic, and the price is right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

Did you reverse polarity on the cigarette outlet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 04:45 pm:

Don't count on a charger designed for 12V to work on 6V. It's generally a different architecture to have the output voltage close to the input voltage. I'd expect those cheap chargers to need a differential of at least something like 3 volts to work correctly.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration