What's that noise?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What's that noise?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

Now that I'm driving my T just about every day, I've noticed it's developed a chirping noise as it comes up to speed. Best I can tell it's coming from the right front corner (or at least that general direction from the driver's seat) and it sort of comes and goes but only ever when the car is in motion.

I know I have a loose crankshaft pulley but that's more of a clicking at idle, and I thought my wheels were okay though that's what I'm kind of worried about at the moment. Really I'm just hoping it's common and easy and one of you guys recognizes the problem and knows exactly what to do.

Thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 02:12 pm:

Sheet metal ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

If you have demountable wheels, check the tightness of your rim bolts. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 03:01 pm:

Thanks Mark, that's something I hadn't thought of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 05:43 pm:

Grease your timer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 05:47 pm:

Check your front wheel bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 05:57 pm:

Is your tire scrubbing the underside of the fender due to a weak front spring ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

Is it a chirping sound or is the vehicle just calling you cheap because you didnít give it the best Mobile one oil on the market?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 11:28 pm:

Probably just calling me cheap for using the straight SAE 30 mineral oil on the last oil change. Sure does run well on it though, and I swear a little MMO smooths out the idle. But, I digress...

Tonight I snuggled down the rim nuts but the chirping persisted. It seems like the chirping only seems to happen in high speed though I donít know if thatís a certain threshold wheel speed or my transmission is upset about something. If itís was the magneto getting pushed against the coil ring I donít think it would be intermittent and it really doesnít sound like itís coming from under the floorboards anyways. Iím starting to wonder now if itís just something dumb like my fan belt playing the timing rod like a fiddle string. I could stand to oil my timer too, just to see if that helps. The seal isnít great on it so it self-oils pretty well but another squirt of chain bar oil on top of that canít hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:33 am:

May be a head gasket. I had a similar noise a while back and it turned out to be a head gasket. Maybe start by re-torquing the head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:44 am:

Sometimes a chirp is a loose spark plug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Update: I snugged down the spark plugs the other day once the engine was warm (are they like head bolts in that regard?) and the chirping persisted. Tonight I warmed it up again to re-torque the head bolts even though I was sure they had been done more than once and the first one I put the wrench on was barely more than finger tight while the rest were fine. I looked up the bolt tightening sequence and sure enough, that one bolt between the second and third exhaust ports wasnít listed on the sequence. Last time around I just have followed the diagram so closely that where they missed a bolt I did too.

Went for a quick drive and so far so good, itís running quietly under load again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

Now that you tightened the spark plugs with the engine hot, you may have to get the engine hot again to remove them when the time comes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

I guess some like the weird ďchirpingĒ sound since they invented this device...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

Do you have a spring on the crank handle?

The spring on my crank handle has been broken forever and I just discovered that while the engine is running the crank ratchet paw bounces off of the pin on the crank pulley creating a noise that I have been chasing for a long time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 02, 2018 - 11:12 pm:

H yeah, and before I forget I just wanted to thank the forum for suggesting it could be a compression leak in the cylinder head. I neverin a million years would have thought of that myself and instead would have chased bearings and bushings forever.

This really is one of the best maintenance resources around.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Chirping sounds:

- Dry hood lacing rubbing against hood
- loose radiator stay rod
- Radiator shell or apron rattling
- loose hood shelve/s
- radiator mounts loose due to backed off mounting nuts on studs.
- The little cups under the radiator mounting nuts rubbing on the radiator shell.
- Headlight arm rubbing on clearance hole in the fender apron.
- Loose fender mounting eye bolt.
- Dry or sloppy hand crank bushing.
- Fan pulley.
- Birds....

or, anything that was tight and is now loose ;)

All of the above are things I have attended to in order to remove a chirp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

O.K., you found it was the head gasket. Yup, had that happen too. Glad you're on the road again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

Jerry, the rest of your list can't possibly chirp on my car; that stuff is either missing or is loose enough to have graduated up to a rattle!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Well nuts, the chirping is mostly gone but yesterday a knocking started. The knock seemed to vary with load on the engine.

Tonight I want to investigate, what should I be looking for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger - Wyoming on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Now that chirping doesn't seem so annoying, does it? :-)

Best of luck on your new noise. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 11:00 am:

I had what sounded like a knocking sound to me. Mike Bender figured out it was my driving style. I had the timing advanced too far (lever too far down).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 11:01 am:

In my experience if I hear a rattle or squeak coming from the right front, it is most likely the left rear wheel rubbing the fender.

Ford never resolved all of the possible squeaks and chirps in his car until 1934. That is when they added a radio to the car to provide loud music to mask the noises. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 11:03 am:

Have you checked for water in the oil? It could be that coolant seeped through the head gasket and diluted the oil. This could cause a problem with the bearings or wristpins.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 02:32 pm:

I'm going to drain and check the oil tonight (and pour it right back in if it looks okay), and pull the lower inspection cover to check the rods. Would jiggling them be enough to locate a loose one or should I be planning to remove all the rod caps for a closer look?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

Oh yeah, if it helps at all the knocking started towards the end of the longest I've run the engine yet, probably close to an hour and a half and the day was hot as hell too. Prior to that the most I had done was 20-30 minute trips in the morning and evening.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

MHO. It takes some experience with rod bearings to judge how much clearance you're running if they "wiggle". Consult the bible for those directions, and if they seem to move readily, it would be best to get out the plastigage or whatever method of measuring you're comfortable with. Some say plastigage isn't worth a pinch of pupshit on T rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 10:11 pm:

Last time I took up a rod it was with newspaper as a gauge, Iíll need to see if the local parts shop has plastigage. I had hoped to get to the bottom of this tonight but it was threatening to rain and I need to do all my work in the driveway since my garage is tiny. The next couple days Iím on call so this looks to have become a weekend job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, August 18, 2018 - 04:17 pm:

Update: grounding plugs one by one makes no appreciable difference to the noise so I removed my fan belt and ran the engine. It was a bunch quieter like that (loose fan pulley) but still pretty clattery. I assume itís all valve noise then? Any harm in having noisy valves? I donít have adjustable lifters and new valves are on my to-do list but Iíd like to run out of summer first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

Update: I spent the afternoon replacing the loose crank pulley and my idle has quieted down. The hammering noise at high RPM persists. Cam maybe or could it be something stupid and easy?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 09:42 pm:

Tim, are you able to make a vid?, it might help with the diagnosis for the people here. When you say "hammering", does it sound like the bad rod bearing Steve Jelf just posted about last week, or is it less than that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 09:57 pm:

Your picture shows a 26. My 26 has a noise caused by a rattle or squeak where the choke rod comes through the dash panel. I put a chunk of foam rubber with duct tape below it and it helps. Some blown gaskets or loose spark plugs will make a chirping noise as the compression or combustion of the engine leaks out. This kind of chirp gets worse as your engine is pulling hard such as hill climbing or acceleration.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

Maybe the drive plate rivets are loose. I had that issue with my 27 and was told by a know it all expert that I did not fix it correctly. Anyway, it has been on several Winter Tours and I also drove it to Key West and back without issue. So much for experts huh.!cid_6A7ED75A-0BB0-4559-B1EF-0C6094A38EFF@hsd1_fl_comcast_net.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

Maybe the drive plate rivets are loose. I had that issue with my 27 and was told by a self proclaimed know it all expert that I did not fix it correctly. Anyway, it has been on several Winter Tours and I also drove it to Key West and back without issue. So much for know it all experts huh.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, September 22, 2018 - 11:06 pm:

Iíll have to see what I can do about getting a video. The noise I have is somewhat different from Steveís in that it only happens at high RPM (just before shifting to high and again as I come up on top speed) and the sound itself seems a little different. Like I said, Iíll try and get video next time Iím out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration