What is this unique MODEL T ENGINE ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What is this unique MODEL T ENGINE ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike silvera on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:01 pm:

Heres pictures. It has an oil pump that drives from end of cam into a deep oil sump pan, side drive mag, flywheel, and no serial number stamped on block. give me your thoughts, thanks. contact durocar@aol.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:06 pm:

Possible marine conversion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry K. Lee on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:12 pm:

Mike,

I think you just found the "Funky Monkey". Although it was still using the radiator, I think I saw something similar in a 1930's Popular Mechanics as an inboard boat engine, (heavy flywheel with a triple attachment for a rubber donut). They were not to concerned about water cooled exhaust back then so much or anti-backfire arrestor's on the carburetor.

Pretty Cool for sure and Thank You for posting the odd ball.

All the Best,

Hank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:15 pm:

I think it is a 26-27 style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 08:20 pm:

I would love to have that mag set up on mine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

I have a “Roberts” marine conversation of a T engine.
It has:
A oil pump in the sump running from the crank gear
A water cooled exhaust manifold
A plunger type water pump driven by a eccentric on the crank shaft
“Doors” in the side of the crankcase to facilitate rod adjusting

Personally I believe the engine shown is for either a farm machine or other industrial application

I also have another T engine that was from a farm machine and it has a BIG fan!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

Must be a pretty specialized mag to deal with whatever the gear ratio is for the generator gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, July 24, 2018 - 11:43 pm:

Tim- the motor has a pretty standard mag drive bracket on it that is setup to drive the mag at crank speed- not off the generator gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 12:40 am:

Is that fan arm extra tall?
Very neat! And it has (excuse me) a REAL fan. I have a different fan adapted to one of mine and will do it to another since I have another same-type fan in my small stash.
It lived in a closed spot judging by the oily/dirty fan blades. Boat or under a tight industrial hood.
That engine will smell so dang good when it's first forced to serve again. Ahhh.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 05:22 am:

Interesting, I was looking at a 26 coupe last week that had a very similar oil pump installed. I will try for pictures next time I see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 07:58 am:

The magneto is a Wico AP- pretty common in the 1930's- '50's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 08:09 am:

Stationary engine maybe to power a belt drive system in a machine shop?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 09:29 am:

Looks like a T commercial engine set up that was used at some type of factory. Don't think it was a homemade setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

The magneto looks similar to what was used on International Harvester tractors for many years. Could be a conversion from that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Anderson on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 07:35 pm:

The mag looks like a Wico Type AP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 07:38 pm:

Ford did sell thousands of engines for a huge variety of industrial and marine use. Apparently, very little in the way of records exist for those sales. I usually refer to them as "back door" engine sales for lack of a better term. Some companies using these engines applied their own serial numbers to them, other companies did not bother. The fact that this engine does not have a serial number makes it fairly likely it was an original special engine. An odd short serial number with one to three letters plus two to four numerals would be almost certain it was such an engine from new. These things have been showing up and causing confusion in the hobby longer than I have been here.

The three bolt connection out of the flywheel looks like a typical era flexible connector used for driveshafts in the '10s and '20s. The '25 Studebaker I had years ago used those on the front and rear of the driveshaft. So many things that engine could have been used for. Bet it would have a lot of stories to tell, if only it could.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike silvera on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 01:44 pm:

thanks guys for what it was used for, Its now FOR SALE go to the classifieds in these forums

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 02:13 pm:

The big wide pulley indicates to me that it was used in a machine shop or woodworking shop, operating several machines. It would have been secured to the floor and a long wide leather belt would have run from the motor pulley to a pulley attached to a shaft running the length of the shop. The shaft would have several pulleys mounted on it and, each arranged above one of several machines in the shop with a leather belt going from the ceiling pulley to a pulley on the machine. This type of dangerous shop would have given OSHA inspectors an ulcer. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

I sure like that mag set up also! I think I would give up my Matco for that one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration