Old Photo-Tattered top

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Tattered top
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 08:10 am:

The pumps look a little later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 08:47 am:

The owner was no doubt an interesting old codger. He has maintained a 30 year old car and it looks like it has been well used.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 08:53 am:

2 more payments and it's mine. or; put a dollar's worth of gas in it and that's all its gonna' git fer a week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 09:32 am:

Wow that car is almost beat to death!!

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lester in Floyd, VA on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:05 am:

I thought Jed Clampett had an Olds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:14 am:

Can anyone identify the license plate ? I'd guess the photo was taken in the early '50s. I remember seeing the occasional "beater" about like this T, driven by old fellows like him who were likely near fifty before they traded a team for an auty-mo-beel ! (they were usually Model As though).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 11:21 am:

And a large person has undoubtedly sat on every fender. The right rear fender bracket is horribly bent but check out the heavy strap metal added to support that fender...Ha!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 11:38 am:

New ('90's) Colonial grain material on my "outdoors" Runabout is shown after 15 years and 20 years after light hail. I suspect the original top lasted about that long if the car was kept outside. His canvas repairs would have needed to be renewed every few years. I agree with Rich B. and '50s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

The Indian Refining Company was an American oil company in operation from the first decade of the 1900s to April 2, 1943. It was bought by the Texas Company in 1931. It had an oil refinery based in Lawrenceville, Illinois. Indian Refining patented the first "wax free" oil under the Havoline brand. The chemists at the Lawrenceville, Illinois refinery developed the wax free motor oil which led to an Indian Refining patent. The Texas Company (TEXACO) acquired Indian Refining in 1931 primarily to access the formulation for wax free motor oil, which was developed and is currently the standard for all conventional motor oils throughout the world. wikipedia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 04:44 pm:

He probably carried feed or hay bales on those fenders. A Texas tag, I do believe. I saw many an old geezer in town off the ranches when I was growing up in Burkburnett, Texas in the 50's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 06:05 pm:

got one of them pumps to. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 07:56 am:

That photo was posted a while back on the "Traces of Texas" page on Facebook.

I believe it was from 1939 near San Augustine, TX

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:01 am:

Goes to show that Model T's would keep going to the very last. First the body then the engine. A little later they sometimes became a trailer. Wouldn't be surprised if thats what happened to this one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:06 am:

The colonial grain that was used for years, and I guess it's still available, has been replaced by Turf Grain, which has a high gloss, and is the material Classtique uses. It's not the same as the original Ford grain, but is quite close.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration