What is and where does this part go?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What is and where does this part go?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry in KCMO on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 09:47 am:

Good Morning everyone.

I've been trying to get a 26 engine put back together that was partially dissembled by my brother back in 1971.

The removed hand crank had this part on the shaft of the removed assembly. I cannot figure out where it goes! Anyone know how it is installed
Thanks, Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 09:56 am:

Radiator support thimble used from 1920-27 two required per car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:12 am:

See #3976 in the parts book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 11:46 am:

I believe it's a part of the lower radiator apron - it prevents the hand crank spring from going through the apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

How big is the hole in the center? Would a hand crank slide thru it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

Just by looking at it, I too would have guessed it to be a radiator thimble, but, if the hole is big enough to fit onto the crank shaft, it is not a radiator thimble. The diameter of the hole for the radiator thimble is around 3/8, or so...

What it is, is a support that welds to the backside of the radiator apron crank hole. My original apron has one. If you look at the backside of the apron, you will probably see where it went over the hole. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 02:06 pm:

PS. It also serves the purpose being a backstop for the crank spring that keeps the crank out and away from the spinning crank pulley. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 02:25 pm:

See www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/570049.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Terry - Hmmm,....this photo and the ensuing discussion demonstrates the importance of a photo which has some way of determining the relative size of a part or object. For instance, laying a nickel, dime or quarter coin beside the part or object so that someone totally unfamiliar with the whatever it is can visualize the size. (....a small ruler or tape measure would be even better)

My first thought was like "Original Smiths", a radiator mount thimble. But if the part is considerably larger (which it probably is) then for sure, Steve Tomaso has got it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 05:38 pm:

I breezed past what Terry wrote at the top most like what everyone else probably did but he said it came off the crank handle

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

That's how I read it ! I have several lower aprons with that thimble intact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 07:15 pm:

I figured you did Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 07:25 pm:

Steve may be correct, but there is something going on. That part is normally welded onto the apron. The 'legs' are usually flat rather than cupped like these, and being welded on, the hole is invariably worn oval by the crank handle being off centre.
This part being un-attached may account for lack of wear, but it would not have served its purpose as a stop for the crank return spring.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 07:30 pm:

This is the spring thimble on the back of the radiator apron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 07:45 pm:

Alan, the reason why the flange of the thimble is curved is so that it will fit down into the dimple that surrounds the hole. If the flange were hammered flat, the thimble would not seat properly against the back of the apron. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:37 am:

I guess I stand corrected! I haven't seen that style. I don't think any of the repro aprons have that part attached, and it's important to keep it from vibrating.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:50 am:

What size is this part? I think Larry is correct!! I have seen several on original old chassis that we disassembled back in the 1950's.If the hole is for a 3/8 bolt then it goes over the spring on the radiator mount bolt. I can't say 26-7 only but I know that's what it is

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:44 pm:

Terry said it was removed from the starting crank - that isn't a 3/8" hole.

"The removed hand crank had this part on the shaft of the removed assembly"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 01:35 pm:

You're absolutely right ! I overlooked that completely!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration