Fly wheel to crank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Fly wheel to crank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:28 am:

Im attaching my fly wheel to the crank. I have grade 8 bolts that are 1 1/2. What is the best method to insure they stay put, loc tite?, lock washer?
I do understand that 1 3/16 is what I need, so if I dont use a lock washer, Ill shorten 1/16
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:44 am:

I'm believe they should be safety wired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:45 am:

I meant "I believe". Too lazy to edit my post :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:59 am:

Wire them. That's why they have holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 11:58 am:

They need to be the bolts Steve shows. I would not use lock washers in this location, if one breaks you would now have a loose bolt that could work out and make a real mess of things. Generally you will not see lock washers used inside an engine esp on any rotating part. Also, you will note the un-threaded part of the bolt, this area works as a shoulder to attach the part. If the bolts you are thinking of using are full thread, this area will not provide the support that is needed. A full threaded bolt, the threads can get worn down and again, the flywheel could come loose. There is a reason behind the design of the correct bolt as it acts as a locating pin in addition to the other two. I suggest you order the correct bolts if you do not have them. If you ask for flat rate shipping you might have them by the weekend if ordered today. (maybe, no promise on that)
Others may have a different view but that is mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 12:20 pm:

Maybe find some with slightly better threads?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Bente on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 12:21 pm:

Thanks, Ill order the correct bolts and wire them.
Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

You can see them wired here...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration