Old Photo - 1915 T With A Vee Radiator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo - 1915 T With A Vee Radiator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

Looks like a '15 center-door sedan! Snazzy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:52 pm:

Jay,

Thank you and others for posting the early photos.

In this case it is a 1915 Centerdoor. Note the 3 piece windshield. That is not a visor, but the outer top windshield that opened outwards and was supported by a curved brass sliding support.

It also has the early side lamp with the larger rim around the lens.

If possible - would you please let me know where you obtained that one? I think I just might see a fork mounted electric headlamp? Difficult to know for sure -- but a higher resolution photo might confirm it one way or the other.

Above is a photo of a 1915 Centerdoor that has a fork mounted electric headlamp. Note the circled area and see the small amount of the fork that extends above the headlamp. I think I can see that same piece of the fork in the photo below. But a higher resolution photo would probably clarify if I'm only dreaming (it is late) or if it is actually there.

Again thank you for posting so many great photos.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 11:13 am:

Thank you Jay for sending me a note that you did not recall where the photo came. And that the size you posted is the same size you have saved.

If someone has the time, software program, and talent to adjust the passenger side headlamp contrast and lighting -- please let us know if you can or cannot see the top of a headlamp fork where the arrows are pointing. I have an older copy of "Microsoft paint" or something like that - but it is also on the older computer that is currently disconnected. I'll try to get it hooked back up as I also noticed some of the files did not transfer to the new computer.

I'm an optimist -- I see running Model T's where others only see junk that needs to be hauled off. And I really do think there is a good chance there is the top of a headlamp fork that will be shown. Jay zoomed in on his copy that is the same resolution as posted and he did not see it.

By the way, when I was growing up, it was much easier to know where a photo came from. There was a box of photos in the closet. My parents would go through it and say, "This is Aunt Mary, her friend Joyce, Joyce's brother Phil etc." And as the decades past they would say, "This is Aunt Mary and I don't know who those other people in the photo are." And then as we inherited the photos, I would say, "I don't remember who Mom and Dad said that was." But at lease we knew where we found the photo -- it was in the box in the closet. Now it usually somewhere on the internet I found the photo and that is a much larger box.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Hap-
I don't think it is a fork mounted headlight.
Nice Livingston V radiator. Seems odd to have a cool streamlined radiator on a '15 centerdoor sedan!

Thanks for sharing the picture, Jay.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 05:40 pm:

Keith,

That is to make it go faster (or less slow)?

Without getting a better photo or being able to adjust the image/tint etc. Or perhaps new glasses for me would do it also? I don't think we will know for sure. You could easily be correct. But I would love to see a better photo of that if someone comes across it.

I would also think that if the was "her" car, that it had been equipped with an accessory starting and lighting kit. They were slow movers (at $975 for the Centerdoor vs $440 for the runabout and $490 for the touring -- you could by one touring and one runabout for $45 less than the single Centerdoor. Or go ahead and purchase two tourings for only $5 more than the single Centerdoor. )

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 05:42 pm:

Oops I forgot the link to the 1915 prices. It is at: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1915.htm

Respectfully added,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 06:00 pm:

I knew it looked familiar:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/677451.html?1474384479

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/757596.html?1496802596

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 07:00 pm:

i own this v radiator just like the one in the pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 07:19 pm:

I've never seen one in person, much less a car with one installed. From pictures I have a love-hate thing going on with the Livingston radiator (especially the brass ones). Cool in more ways than one, but so glaringly angular and ungainly - somehow reminds me of Prof. Fate's car in the 1965 movie "The Great Race". I'd think the implication is that the model T needed extra cooling capacity ? The V tank should hold quite a bit more water, and I'm thinking the radiating surface must be half again the area on a stock radiator. Fun to see the picture, fun to see Ed's radiator. Say, Ed, have you ever run it on a car ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 09:04 pm:

I never ran it, but it was pulled off a running car a long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

They are neat. This is a very pointed one on my favorite speedster pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

The late Ralph Ricks ran his in the Great Race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

It is very obvious that it is a fork mount light.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 09:36 am:

For Erik thank you for the links. From those I was able to trace it back to an e-bay seller. No surprise, that listing was already closed and probably sold back in 2016. If it had been in a library etc. I would try to get a higher resolution copy.

For Darel,

I hope you are correct and that it is a fork mounted electric headlamp (OK Im biased). Are you basing that off of what looks like the top of the headlamp fork appearing just above the flat opening on the side of the headlamp? Or is there some other clue in the photo that leads you to that conclusion?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 10:21 am:

Love all the great pix you folks post !!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration