Machine shop motor needed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Machine shop motor needed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 09:32 pm:

To complete the machine shop in the MTFCA Museum, we are in need of a couple of items for the line shaft. To power the line shaft we are looking for an old electric motor with 3 to 5 hp, 110 or 220 volt. We have access to modern looking motors but are wanting an old, non capacitor start one from the 1920s. We would also like to find a small flat belt clutch mechanism for the small lathe we have. Please email me with any leads you may have on these. Jerrybkramer@gmail.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, July 25, 2018 - 10:50 pm:

Jerry, I was wondering about a line shaft in the machine shop. Is that ceiling high enough to accommodate one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:23 am:

Jerry, I don't have details, but a well known wheel rebuilder in New Zealand builds his wheels and then turns the centre out on a lathe to match the hubs. That lathe has set of model T trans drums and clutch mechanism to get it in motion once the wheel is mounted.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:28 am:

Jerry- I probably have a motor but being a few miles away in California . . . I'm assuming you need a single phase motor- not 3 phase.
I do have a small clutch, but it will need some machine work to make it useable. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Steve, the line shaft we have will go above the back row of machines. The motor, depending on size, could be mounted on the floor or back wall near the northwest corner. The lathe we think will be along the south wall, thus needing a horizontal belt to a short shaft and/or the small clutch mechanism and then down to the step pulley. We want everything to be functional.

Dan, Please send pictures of what you have. I can repair almost any thing if need be. We really need to begin with the motor as it will dictate the pulley sizes we will have to use.

Also if there are pulleys out there, please let us know. Donít worry about the hub size, again I can easily make a bushing or bore it out to fit our needs.

And lastly donít dismiss a possible donation because of its distance from the museum. It may take awhile, but we have ways to get it here. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

I will be in California in mid-November. If Dan's motor turns out to be the one, I can pick it up and get it to the museum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 06:05 am:

I am by no means an electrician, but I have been around older electric motors over the years. From what I have learned, those old motors will almost run forever, with some maintenance. Usually when they start causing problems, all they need is to have the shaft bushings replaced. They are tough!! JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:00 am:

Bump

I am in Florida - then headed to Kansas - then east to Connecticut.

If someone has a motor to donate along my route - I can get it to the museum.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:08 am:

Just my thought. Being in the 1920's would be
steam in small a small shop. OR a nice make an break Fairbanks or something. I just think steam or make an break gives viewers more of a thrill than a electric motor and I know what motor you seek but the public see's a electric motor just
a motor. Check out Dave Richards steam powered machine shop on U tube. Dave keeps it 'the way
it was' sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:45 am:

What about a stationary Model T engine? As with the post above,who had el power in the 20's?? Bud wondering when the Vintage Ford will make it to Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:11 am:

Our new machine shop is basically a single car garage. There is barely enough room to fit all the machines in that we currently have. We have been offered a hit and miss to run the line shaft and that would be really neat except for the noise and convenience. Many of the museums that have gone down this machine shop road and did not use an electric motor now have static displays. We want an active machine shop that will allow the actual use of the machines. Educating people on the purpose and history of the machine shop and itís role in the automobile industry is our main goal.

We have been offered a great looking motor, but it isnít quite big enough. We may use it to just run the lathe. We need something from 3 to 5hp to run the line shaft. I know the right motor is out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Morsher on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:24 am:

I canít fathom the liability issue involved here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:30 am:

Many years ago our grandkids [two at the time] ran a lathe at the machine shop at The Henry Ford.I for get what they made from brass but i think they both learned in the process.I think in the early days there was a engine building at the Piquette Plant and the early Olds plant also.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

Jerry, Forget hanging a period 3-5 hp motor on the wall--it will likely weigh about 200 pounds!! I think the electric motor idea is great--they are out there, old "Century's" etc. I hate to mention this, but one common place to find them is old Organblow pipe organ blowers. Hmm, or old air handling systems, you might check with commercial Heating/Air Conditioning companies.
Here's the 5 hp 3-phase 1920's motor on our Organblow, and it runs at 1100 rpm, so there another good point about them; they usually run at a lower speed than many electric motors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 12:07 pm:

BTW, that motor is all of 200 lbs, maybe more--it's the grey part of the blower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 12:16 pm:

Steam or hit & miss would be great, but I think the limited space the museum has to work with makes them impractical in this case. That's why I asked about ceiling height. I imagine it's going to be a tight squeeze getting everything in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

I think they have a Fordson that could be parked outside and belted through a wall.1920's power.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 01:44 pm:

Hide a modern motor inside a period correct motor housing. Save weight and energy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 02:35 pm:

if you want to do it right get a bigger place!!!!. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Murray on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 02:42 pm:

>>who had el power in the 20's??<<

I guess it depends on where you lived...still does, to a lesser extent. By 1920 Richmond, Virginia had been already been electrified for 30 years.

Is it true that this machine shop only has single phase power available? You might want to check with a local electrical supply house; I'm told that the modern three phase solid state motor controllers can be connected to a single phase supply, and will synthesize the third phase...that way if you find the right period motor in three phase it might be useable. Plus with a solid state drive you'd have the "soft-start" feature, which limits the inrush current at starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 03:14 pm:

Are any of these electric motors candidates?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Westinghouse-3-HP-Type-C-Induction-Electric-Motor-c-190 0-Antique-Electrical/382529918033?hash=item59108f5451%3Ag%3AwqYAAOSw2IVbXIMn&_sa cat=0&_nkw=antique+electric+motor&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0&_ipg=200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynamo-Electric-Machine-Co-3-HP-Electric-Motor-c-1906-A ntique-Electrical/323370951868?hash=item4b4a6924bc%3Ag%3ASiUAAOSw2GJbXIMJ&_sacat =0&_nkw=antique+electric+motor&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0&_ipg=200

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vintage-1916-GE-Induction-Electric-Motor-10HP-2 20V-General-Electric/132720171124?hash=item1ee6bd1874%3Ag%3ACpcAAOSwDMNa-3wj&_sa cat=0&_nkw=antique+electric+motor&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0&_ipg=200

The third one is a 10hp model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:39 pm:

Jack, Interesting idea. I will have to check it out. Tim, either would work, if they run. I would hate to pay for something that wonít run. Thanks for finding them. Weíll keep them in mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

220 will run alot cheaper but are there 3 or 4 leads on the 10 hp?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

You know it doesn't have to be an old motor--Just look like one. Hide a modern and efficient motor inside of an old or fake housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

Jerry- e-mail sent with pictures. Found a 1 HP and a 3 HP- old style GE. Both are same frame style as the 3rd e-bay link above. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

Jack has a very good idea, in fact, you can get one to adjust the cycles even, so you can change the running speed of the motor some. We have a soft-start controller on the blower. The inrush load is still pretty high though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:16 pm:

Dan,

I am on to you ....

You just want the MTFCA Museum to be re-named the MDFCA Museum ..... :-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

JK,

Picked up ....

I wanna ride in an early steam car for my troubles ....

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Friday, August 03, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

Will do. See you in New London.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration