A Canadian Record For Miles Driven

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: A Canadian Record For Miles Driven
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 09:53 am:

Tom Forsythe that lives in or near Montreal, Ontario, Canada is well known in that area for his excellent condition Model T and his ability to improve what Henry Ford designed, with his well stocked machine shop.

Tom has owned this beautiful 1912 for many years and he has driven it over 26,000 miles.

He has driven it to Maine for the September Mainely T tours at least two or more times.

Tom recently sent me this note:

I purchased my first Model T (a lovely original ’27 Touring) in 1966. I spent two years doing a complete down to the bare frame restoration- (no rust what so ever!)

In 1970 towing the smallest of tent trailers but complete with 20 lb. propane tank, stove and fridge, my first wife and young daughter of 6 years; with 11 other Model T’s and their families, left for a 7 week holiday, driving from Toronto to the Maritime Provinces and right across Newfoundland to Cape Speer the most eastern point in North America,and home again without the slightest problem!

In the six years that I drove this T, I totalled 29,000 miles when I sold it to a buddy-in ‘74, as I had joined the Experimental Aircraft Association and started to build an all metal home-built aircraft -- but that is another story!

Just to give you my honest total of Model T Ford miles driven, 29,000 plus 26,000 = 55,000 in my lifetime to date.

Quite honestly my total satisfaction with my first Model T gave me all my confidence in “Henry’s Wonderful Model T Ford!”

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:44 am:

A wonderful story. Thank you for posting it. But, James, I have to warn you: if you say Montreal is in Ontario, you may be detained at the border if you ever try to cross into Canada. Montreal is in Quebec!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:50 am:

I met Tom Forsythe on a Mainely T Tour in 2008 (if I recall correctly) when he was having a bit of trouble. He had a cracked low speed drum. A nice gentleman and his '12 is an interesting car. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

Gilbert, there was a clue on the license plate, the P Q is Province of Quebec.

Actually, I was half right, as Tom lived in Toronto, until 1976.

My boy hood home was Clayton, NY and on the St. Lawrence River across from Ontario.

You had to go with the river for awhile to get to Montreal, but I often went there.

One time there, I got chased off their bell tower fro dropping coins to see how high they would bounce.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 04:02 pm:

I suspect it’s actually Province de Québec!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration