OT - How far the Inline 4 has Come

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT - How far the Inline 4 has Come
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 01:01 pm:

We all love our little Flathead 4's here so when i ran across this Vid, I thought some of the engine Geeks here like myself might enjoy this. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6H66xfEZC4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:04 pm:

Fascinating, thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:07 pm:

I agree, I find it amazing that they can make an engine about the same over all size of the old 20hp T engine and make unbelievable house power out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis R on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

And do it without breaking a crankshaft!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Art McTevia on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:17 pm:

Unblievable

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:37 pm:

OK, so they just added a ton of extra rotating mass and 16 or so extra bearings. Plus the control system and more reciprocating mass.

Tractors in the teens were made with variable compression so that you could start them on gasoline with the hand crank and them switch over to diesel with the engine warmed up a little. There was an extra chamber at the top with a valve that opened. Seems to me that this is a more simple solution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:45 pm:

Really enjoyed watching that. It is a remarkable engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 04:00 pm:

I designed a variable compression engine in 1965. I'm glad to see someone has perfected it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 04:06 pm:

My wife's GMC Terrain direct-injection four is great. 34 mpg hwy, 27 combined. I've got 91,000 miles, no issues, no oil burning. Totally trouble-free in almost 6 years. Has the acceleration and passing times of a small block 2bbl V8 of the 60's. 6 speed auto tranny. These small engines have been refined beyond belief.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration