Crankshaft testing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Crankshaft testing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nathan cone on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:35 pm:

I'm rebuilding a t motor dating December 1920, sat outside roughly 50+ years braving the elements. Everything looks to be well pickled. My question is , If my crankshaft passes the mag test, should I have it shot peened?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

I always glass bead mine and then wet mag them. If it passes then the crank grinder does his thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 04:01 pm:

Shot peen is a way to add compression stress to the surface. Since things tend to break due to tension stress at the surface, the compression stress counteracts this to some degree and makes the part stronger. Since the crankshaft breaks due to fatigue, in my opinion a crankshaft that has had few hours on it would be a good choice. I am not sure what good shot peening would do for fatigue failure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration