Poor manís Whitewall Tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Poor manís Whitewall Tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 07:24 pm:

On a recent thread, there was a 1962 photo of a beautiful dark blue Model T with white wall tires. The comment was made by a poster that he has been looking for whitewalls like that for years and wished they were still available. I have heard of hobbyists making their own homemade whitewalls with impressive results and thought I would post a thread on the subject. I see no reason why this would not work and if they get scuffed, they can easily be retouched. Jim Patrick.

www.renaultcaravelle.com/index.php//tips-and-tricks-make-whitewall-tire

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 08:29 pm:

I have seen clown cars with painted tires. Ha ha ha, Thanks Jim, I kinda thought that something like this would work. It would at least help purdy up white walls. Sounds like it worked well for this fellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

I have been running with one tire made up that way but the flexing of the tire soon causes it to crack and peel off. Looks OK when you first do it but doesn't last very long. Maybe modern tire construction has less flex.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 10:23 pm:

Thanks John. I had a vision of 25 clowns piling out of a Model T. LOL!

Hi Val. Since spray paints made specifically for plastic is relatively new, Iím willing to bet the paint that was used on that tire was regular white paint. I have used the plastic paint and have been impressed with itsí flexibility and ability to adhere to surfaces that most other paints will not. Something that might ensure the longevity of this process would be to air up the tires to their full capacity to minimize the flex of the tires. Since white walls are no longer available, it would be worth it to give this a try for those who have, for a long time, been seeking the whitewall look. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 11:12 pm:

Iíve never tried this stuff but I hear itís supposed to work well:
https://www.rangerpaint.com

At the very least itís made for the job. I also have a friend who Ďmadeí a set of wide whites for a rat rod by just painting the sidewalks with cheap latex house paint and last I asked it was holding up remarkably well, including havin a tire go completely flat in the garage without cracking the paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Thank you Tim. Thatís good to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, July 26, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

I wonder if the white rubber roof coating for Rv's would work?
I can't spell but I think it is Elasometric or something like that.Rustoleum makes it.I bought a gallon at the great Wal of china Mart for 20 bucks back in early june to re-coat the metal roof on my homebuilt camper since it reflects alot of heat and seals up any place that might leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Victor Bloxsome on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 03:57 am:

Starbrite make coloured rubber coatings , do they make a white or light grey one for such a purpose ? Would be expensive in quantities required for four wheels but has anyone tried it ? Like Mack's rv roof rubber .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick in Florida on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:16 am:

With the conditions they have to endure, Iíll bet roof coatings might work. Many years ago, using a silver roof paint from Sherwin Williams called ďSilver BriteĒ, I painted my 21Ē wheel rims and they are still as bright and shiny as if they were just plated. Youíd never guess it was paint. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 01:33 am:

One of my customers wanted colored side walls on his speedster. He bought three cans of paint, white, blue and red. He decided to try the red to match the pin striping on his car. It looked great for a couple of months but then started to flake off.
When I get home Iíll try to find the name.
Of course he may have been unlucky or not followed the instructions but the attached picture shows the flaking

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 03:17 am:

I used 'twink' but what about plastidip?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Monday, July 30, 2018 - 08:50 am:

In the '40's and '50's, we used a commercial product to paint our tires, made specifically for this purpose. Our tires didn't usually last that long, but if memory serves, it held up rather well. An Oil Man of that era, James "Jim" West, had white walls on everything he owned, and he owned a lot of vehicles, including the big oilfield tandems. I am sure those tires were painted, but they held up well in the mud and stress of the oilfield. I am thinking '50's,maybe later, someone made a white rubber ring to use, one just broke the bead, placed the ring between rim and tire, aired it up, and viola, white walls. In later years in the days of Company cars, we went to Michelins exclusively, all black, I am not sure that Michelin even offered a whitewall. I bought my last white walls, late '80's early '90's from a Dealer in Alice, Texas, NOS, and I think he was glad to get rid of them and I was glad to get them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration