Ways to check head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ways to check head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chuck stevens on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 07:56 am:

Is there a way to check the cylinder head thickness, to see if it has been milled. This is a 21 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 12:22 pm:

See the post at12:08

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 05:54 pm:

If the head has been decked a few times in it's live, you will never be able to work out how much but if milled to try for more compression is another story, check the encyclopedia for head changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

Should read life, not live. Sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 06:32 am:

Chuck,

In a private email to me, according to Steven Lang, the stock high head is 2 11/16 high which is the distance from the surface of the head to the face that the head bolt sits on. Measure this distance using a set of calipers to see how much has been removed. The head can be faced several times and if the surface needs it just take off as little as possible. Mount the head on the mill using head bolt faces as the mounting plane. My low head has had quite a lot shaved off and is into the water jacket in two places. These holes get closed off by the head gasket so I don't have any leakage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration